Another wood spirit - but still not how I want it.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Finished another wood spirit today (this one is for my girlfriend). I'm happy with it but it still isn't anything like what I see in my head when I first start out. I guess (and hope) the ability to create what you imagine comes with time/experience. I think I'll try a much bigger one next and use a chisel to remove the main bulk of the wood then the gouges for the finer detail. This one took ages using just gouges!
woodspirit2.jpg

woodspirit1.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oh wow, that's really good that! It has personailty too. I'd be well chuffed. I think having an image in your head and the final result is often down to how much you're willing to a compromise between the two. However if this is an early attempt I can't wait to see what you're like once you "get good" at it.

+1 about using chisels for the rough work, but gouges work just as good, at least big gouges, not the iddy biddy detail carving gouges.

Well done! Hope the girlfriend liked it too.

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Nice spirit!
I always kind of like the way things never turn out the way you plan when working with wood. It gives the item a certain personality all of its own.
Keep up the good work!

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
cracking work there bob, :)

ill echo Aarons words, take out the bulk with your bigger tools and as you work in the smaller gouges come into their own, well done mate! something to be proud of. is that a piece of cherry?

steve

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That is sensational!

I really want to have a go at this but it would have to be the wood equivalent of a stick man to begin with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE