another tarp question!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

BCpete

hey,

what tarp/basha would you recommend for sleeping on the floor only because i dont have a hammock:(
im not too fussed about weight, and it'd be good if it was around 30 quid?

also what does IMO and IMHO mean, :lmao:

pete

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well if you were to spend the whole £30 then the DD 3x3 metre tarp would give you plenty of room plus if you then upgraded to a hammock it's big enough.

Then there is mid range stuff http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Army-camo-12-...s_JN?hash=item518ac4089f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 that would be bigger than the DD but will be heavier and less eyelets etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Army-camo-8-x...s_JN?hash=item518b8cbcd1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 Again, cheaper but less size and still fairly heavy.

Or if you really only want a small shelter for yourself with not much room for other things (like a big bergen) you could go for a poncho or buy an IPK kit and add eyelets and loops to it (you also get some decent pegs and some cord)

Asa.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
If you can get to a Decathlon store, you can buy a reasonable 3m x 3m poly tarp, complete with 2 x 1.8m sectional steel poles, all guylines and a set of pegs for £20 :)

The poles and pegs are heavy, but the tarp is the same weight as my 3x3 Tatonka!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you can get to a Decathlon store, you can buy a reasonable 3m x 3m poly tarp, complete with 2 x 1.8m sectional steel poles, all guylines and a set of pegs for £20 :)

The poles and pegs are heavy, but the tarp is the same weight as my 3x3 Tatonka!

Is that the Quechua one Steve ?

I saw one on a campsite in France and it didn't look too bad actually.

i bought the DD 3x3 tarp recently, and it's probably the best outdoors purchase i've made so far. it comfortably fits two people with equipment, has enough loops for any configuration, and is the best compromise between weight, price and waterproofing that i've come across so far. it comes with corner guys and pegs, so you'll have to buy a few metres of paracord if you don't already have it, but other than that, it's amazing.

i did a mini review of it here, i haven't written up the post about the two days i spent under it last weekend.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Is that the Quechua one Steve ?

I saw one on a campsite in France and it didn't look too bad actually.
That's the one! - shame about the logo, but what do you expect for £20? :p They come in green, and a sort of putty colour... I've got a couple, and tend to take them in preference to my Tatonka these days ;)

edit : just found some piccies I did for someone else...

what you get for your £20:

contents.jpg

and put up using the supplied poles and pegs (it's got a centre hanging point too!) :

pitched.jpg

As you say you're not too fussed about weight, if you're going to use it for car camping & pack-size isn't an issue either, then you may want to consider the Cadet Bivvy which is in much heavier canvas.

I got an unissued one from Anchor Supplies some years back (I think it was £15).

As it's in heavy canvas, I don't mind having a fire close to it (which I wouldn't do so close to a lightweight tarp, especially if it's a synthetic).

It comes with doors / mosi-netting at each end which I cut out to leave a tarp.

It's great for bivvying under, but it's not for carrying over any distance !!!

Anchor Supplies also do scrap pieces of canvas from damaged tents for less than a fiver, however, you'd need to go & sort through them to find something suitable - I got a piece which I turned into a trailer cover for £2 !!!

B

BCpete

Does anyone have any pics of the DD 3x3 tarp setup on the ground or any ideas you can do on the floor?

thanks

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE