Another simple turning job, potato masher.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This is more of a practice piece as the photos of the one in a local museum I want to copy are trapped on the wife's phone.

image.jpg1_zps1dpeinoo.jpg

Green sycamore, near 3 inch diameter, 9 inch length. The base is slightly domed.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thats really nice Tom, a really solid looking dod of wood and well turned. You've done a lovely job. Looks a bit like a masons hammer.
What are they like to use? Only ever used something with a narrower section for making chappit tatties.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Ill tell you in a couple of days when the walnut oil has cured! They were pretty much universal until cheap stamped steel mashers came into use. If you google Wooden Potato mashers in images you'll get tons of regional variations.

As a bit of siilyness I've quickly turned another Potato masher....

image.jpg2_zpsi2cz48sf.jpg

im trying the cooking cold pressed linseed oil on this one for a change.

ATB

Tom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm sure the German members will love that one. Excellent for tatties and trench clearing! LOL.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

just got a pic off the wife's phone of the one in The Weavers Cottage Museum in Rawtenstall,

image.jpg1_zpsyq040ynx.jpg

Much slimmer and delicate than my first one, you can't see a big crack in the base.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That museum one minds me of the shortbread stamps my Great Aunt used. Never known a better baker.
A spinster and brilliant cook, even if you popped in un expected within no time at all there'd be a mound of freshly made scones and drop-scones filling the table with bowls of her raspberry jam.
Will have to dig out her shortbread recipe now after seeing that - though I can never make it like she could.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
They are very similar until you look at the bases. I also think the short bread stamps were made of a wood that carves better than sycamore, something like lime or best of all, box.

Heres my attempt, a bit chunkier than the original but I can live with it!

image.jpg1_zpseraa5wwg.jpg

Oiled it with walnut.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Last edited:

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Good job Tom, they all look good in their own individual way. I think the first one actually looks the best.

Have you used one yet? I'm interested to hear how good they are compared to modern ones.

I have always liked to have a go at turning.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I love these mashers.

As for the rolling pin's. Are there any Museums local to you that have one you could take measure of ? Or maybe they could do it for you ? Other than that you could send some emails off to try and get the sizes you need.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

The bizarre thing, and to look at me you'd know that I'm a big mash eater, that since I've been making these I've not actually done mash at home! I don't know if its because its been the summer but I've been off the stodge.

Oh well I'll just have to schedule a meal with it in!

'still got to make some biscuits to try out the pricker thing as well.

The only bit I've made that gets used everyday is the short handled ladle/dipper I have hung next to the sink in the shed, i really need to get the other stuff into service.

ATB

Tom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers!

The bizarre thing, and to look at me you'd know that I'm a big mash eater, that since I've been making these I've not actually done mash at home! I don't know if its because its been the summer but I've been off the stodge.

Oh well I'll just have to schedule a meal with it in!

'still got to make some biscuits to try out the pricker thing as well.

The only bit I've made that gets used everyday is the short handled ladle/dipper I have hung next to the sink in the shed, i really need to get the other stuff into service.

ATB

Tom

Dr Goat demands that you fullfill a prescription for chappit tatties, snorkers and some onion gravy. You've been seriously putting yourself at risk from refraining. :D

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Dr Goat demands that you fullfill a prescription for chappit tatties, snorkers and some onion gravy. You've been seriously putting yourself at risk from refraining. :D

I love onion gravy ! But I'm sorry to say that I'm the only on in my house that dose!
We also don't eat much mash either. Which is strange as we do like it and we have two seven year old girl twins that love their school mash.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I love onion gravy ! But I'm sorry to say that I'm the only on in my house that dose!
We also don't eat much mash either. Which is strange as we do like it and we have two seven year old girl twins that love their school mash.

Something that appeals to the romantic in my soul was the description on sausage and mash in a R4 program about children themed eateries in 50's London. All the food had imaginative names and the sausage and mash was called "Zeppelins in the clouds".
Cool name.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Now I'm just hungry! Laying here knackered after a full day out with three hooligans in tow arranging the A Level courses/ new school for one and new uniforms for the others as their school decided to change from maroon to black. Ok that's not much but the tooing and froing ( no idea how you spell that ) and the umpteen charity shops between meant we left at 8.30 and got back at 5.30, only time sat was on buses.

We could really do with a plate of pork and apple bangers and buttery mashed Estimas with onion gravy that's had a tin of stewing steak broken up into it putting in front of us....

atb

tom

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Now I'm just hungry! Laying here knackered after a full day out with three hooligans in tow arranging the A Level courses/ new school for one and new uniforms for the others as their school decided to change from maroon to black. Ok that's not much but the tooing and froing ( no idea how you spell that ) and the umpteen charity shops between meant we left at 8.30 and got back at 5.30, only time sat was on buses.

We could really do with a plate of pork and apple bangers and buttery mashed Estimas with onion gravy that's had a tin of stewing steak broken up into it putting in front of us....

atb

tom

Iv had day's like that Tom. And when you get in and sit down all you want is some nice comfort food! Winter is the worse, After being out in the cold you get home its dark and cold outside. I really enjoyed them Nigel salters simple suppers, Good show that was with some good recipe ideas. I'm a bit of a cook myself. Not in a working way. But at home, I do most of the cooking in our house. That's why these kitchen item that you have made have appeal to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE