Another retired garden tool back in action (pictures)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
There must be a lot of old shears out there....

I'd been working on a knife from an old pair of shears, I finished the handle today....

shearsknife1.jpg

shearsknife2.jpg

shearsknife3.jpg

shearsknife4.jpg

shears_knife2.jpg

shears_knife1.jpg

shears_knife3.jpg

It seems (so far) to hold a good edge, the original shears were pretty old, possibly 40 yrs..
The handle is a micarta like board...
I also had a go at a mosaic pin with fair success, but need to get a better dispersal of the resin...

Still got the other leaf of the shears, various ideas from another knife to awls...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nicely done, that looks very sound :approve:

The handle scales do look like Tufnol. We had pulley blocks for the boats and they were made from that, the colour is very characteristic.

cheers,
Toddy

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
That's pretty cool, nice one

Am I right in thinking that a mosaic pin is just a normal pin that's had a design filed into it and the gaps filled with resin? Or is it something much simpler that I'm over-complicating in my mind?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Hello, the mosaic pin was a wide brass tube with 7 smaller tubes pushed into it. I used short lengths, about 2" or so. I used a mix of precision araldite and glow-in-the-dark powder to make the resin fill and forced it in from one end till it came out the other. I have read that a wide bore syringe helps with this but didnt have one to hand. I left it to set and trimmed off the ends and fitted it as normal to the scales and knife.
I've seen other pins where the smaller tubes are filled with a contrasting colour ( I think it was a paint powder) before fitting in the larger tube, to make a more colourful pin, may try this next time as I was pleased with the result of this one.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
hey john, thanks for sharing your master piece with us!! If you dont mind me asking, how did you get the affect on the blade at the end? and at what point did you put the edge on? :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Hello,
It's unintentional, but I *think* its reticulation, that I've only seen it before in silverwork I did where the surface "melts" and flows slightly. Possibly because I was using a hairdryer as a blower to the charcoal, it got very hot. In the past I've melted a work in progress ruining it completely, so this was possibly getting close....
Anyway its a nice effect.
I'd not sharpened the edge completely as I believe a fine edge will get burned off easily during the heat treating, so it was just beveled. I worked away on the edge after the handle went on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE