Another Peak District trek and Camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
So yesterday me and Jonbodthethird headed once again to the lovely peak district for a nice little walk and overnight camp.
Started off parking near Upper Booth and paying the sweet sum of £5 to a local camp site to allow us to park for the night.
Also allowed us to use the onsite toilet and shower facilities if we wanted.
Very kind of them.
From there we headed up Kinder following the pennine way.
Let's just say that Jacobs Ladder was an Interesting experience carrying 17kgs of kit.
Upwards and onwards to Kinder Scout and a stop off at kinder low trig point and then a nice 1mile plus detour off trail picking our way across Peak bogs and gorges to find the actual highest point in the peaks.
636 meters above sea level.
Basically just a large tuft of Heather in the middle of the plateau.
From there we headed along to Kinder Downfall but due to a lack of rain it wasn't running very well.
There was however a small amount of up fall as the wind was blowing the right direction.
Can't wait to go back there and see it in full swing going over the edge and then blowing back up and over.
Then around some more and try to find our way down to Mermaids pool.
Shame there is no trail from the top down to it.
So we had to cut our own.
30% gradient down hill, nothing but a walking pole to help pick the way and check ahead for holes. Some of the decent was taken on my bum and only once did I miss my footing and nearly take a header down the hill.......
After a while we finally made it down to the pool.
Will have to go back next summer and have a swim/paddle in it.
Then another sharp decent into the woods where we set up the Hammocks for the night.
We both looked at the weather apps and decided no tarps needed due to no rain.
Both forgetting how markedly unreliable those apps are and how fast the weather changes in the Peaks.
A rude awakening at 6am with shouts from Jon about the rain that had started, and the ensueing half naked tarp dance in the dark made for interesting viewing if anyone could have seen us.

After some more sleep we awoke at 0930 and made brews and food before packing up and heading out.
The decision had been made around 30m down the hill decent that we were never going to try and climb back up that way.
We opted for a different route back.
Heading down to Kinder Reservoir which is badly depleted right now and around then back up past Edale Cross before descending Jacobs ladder back towards the car.
Who would have thought Jacobs ladder was so hard in both directions, the down hill was slower and more painful than going up....!!!
Amazing 2 days hiking and a great sleep in the new Warbonnet Ridgerunner and quilts.
Can't wait for the next monthly trip.
0fbc9624c066a5948249e067f6484160.jpg
01bf06abcb32e5ec6c2bc8baf1df66ab.jpg
b5d02ba9b2a7a0dd12315e13d4f38320.jpg
74a41f5ef98ef973615558c83265d1fc.jpg
477121766a0e2fe2570ffffb5d03af18.jpg
6c24fb2ab16295e2f0104aa6ab8b2e48.jpg
2dfe7e54e4f3402b1d12529ffbd9aca5.jpg
7ac2e9dff7fab1d5cf3ce370cb528ac9.jpg

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Went up grindslow knoll, had a look round on the top and pitched by a little brook that runs into grindsbrook, i think.
Grindslow knoll is a quicker way up but its steep.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Sounds nice.
We was supposed to come round and back down that way but there was no way we were gonna climb back up where we came down onto Mermaids pool so had to opt for the other route.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Nice pictures, I like the sheep regarding your camp. Makes me want to go do the pennine again :)

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Trust me.
Seeing me in just my boxers and boots running round in the rain in complete darkness is enough to make you bleach your eyes and never venture into the woods again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE