another night out in the piney woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
hi guys,just some pics and descriptions off my hang with the girlfriend on saturday night,nothing fancy,no real long walk in( all of ten minutes from parking the car.
but in a nice secluded spot far from the footpath,enough for a small fire ,twin hammock and single tarp setup
live in the northwest so always up for meeting other hangers hope you enjoy
Photo0279.jpg

Photo0318.jpg

Photo0290.jpg

Photo0292.jpg

Photo0293.jpg

Photo0311.jpg

Photo0313.jpg

Photo0312.jpg

Photo0314.jpg

Photo0315.jpg

Photo0316.jpg

Photo0286.jpg

Photo0281.jpg

Photo0280.jpg

Photo0283.jpg

just a few,will get better with the camera in time lol

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
me too,...

i have an idea to do this myself and can up with a method of using only two trees

i reckon if you seperate your hamock webbings (posibly at the caribeener)with a strong notched stick then the deflection angle would allow a nice gap, so you could hold hands, share one lamp,pass the wine without spilling,... etc,...lol...

all theoretical but something i want to try,...

Cheers,...

Stu

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
thanks for the intrest guys,will try and answer as clearly as possible.
the two hammock setup was achieved as follows
there are 2 trees approx 4/5 ft apart as the foot tree's
and there was a single head tree if that makes sense about 14 ft the other way
the hammocks were set up individually first from one of the foot tree's to the head tree
then the 2nd hammock from the other foot tree to the same head tree.
the hammocks came in at an angle so they got closer to the head tree.
though at closest they were about a foot apart.
the rest was just making sure they hung at the same height by altering.
normal tree huggers with storm rings were used on all 3 trees.
the tarp was a tenth wonder saragossa ,plenty wide enough to accomodate the two hammocks.
the only reason i did it this way is it saved me carrying a second tarp

the tarp evenness was achieved by having a ridgle going from the 2 foot trees nice and taught.
then having a main ridgle from the middle of this line to the head tree

the windshield also doubled as a light blocker in case there was a passer by could see any light from the top of the hill,in time i will get some stones around the fire pit

tent pegs for this site arent required as i cut them on site as its very piney needle and bracken soft earth so the pegs need to be 12" long to get any purchase.

will try to get some more photos to show you more clearly.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
me too,...

i have an idea to do this myself and can up with a method of using only two trees

i reckon if you seperate your hamock webbings (posibly at the caribeener)with a strong notched stick then the deflection angle would allow a nice gap, so you could hold hands, share one lamp,pass the wine without spilling,... etc,...lol...

all theoretical but something i want to try,...

Cheers,...

Stu

stu i'm pleased i have my own tarp for brockwell,as much as your probably a cany lad,i just don't know you well enough to be getting cosy under one tarp as romantic as your description sounds pmsl

nice set up there gandelff

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
yeah the credit card tool is great too.
there were a few things i will alter and have ordered from ebay.
the first is a wood cutting saw 21" that has a green wood blade. as the one thing that has repeatadly tookk most of the setup time was the collection of wood and cutting of logs,the small folding handsaw is great and has its use for say a single hanger but for a couple or group hang then you need to up the ante on the wood cutting hence the newest purchase.

secondly for the best part of this year including the snow hangs my butt has been cold in the morning,natrually this is were the down is compressed where i lie so as of yesterday i have made a underquilt and will test it next hang,wether i take a cut down version of the rollmat i use(nato standard issue 5 season) needs to be addressed but i'll take it and try it as my butt got cold with the roll mat in place.
this is important when you take your girlfriend/wife /partner with you as if there vuneraable to the cold then its you that gets it in the neck one way or another

and finally as a foot note, booze at a hang, i have tried carrying lager as not keen on spirits,cartons of wine etc but i dont drink spirits so i find a fair compromise if you like a tipple by the fire is port.half a litre in a sports bottle saves waste and weight too and is a nice mellow drinkee poo.

heymorrolan chorley isnt that far,when was your last hang and what gear do you hang with?

Last edited:

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Hey gandelf, what's the object in the 7th pic down, between the Swiss Army mug and the curry flavoured noodles? It looks like a can with holes in it and has a pink plastic top.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I'm intrigued - how do you get the twin hammocks to work?

You set it up between three trees, with each hammock sharing one tree.

I have wondered if it would work with just two trees if you hung the suspension from the side of the tree (allowing you to hang two suspensions at the same height with a gap of the trees diameter, which could be quite large depending on the tree, easily a foot or more) rather than have it centred on the tree, and stagger the hammocks lengthwise (and/or in height) to avoid butts knocking.

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
the thing between the photos as asked,was a babies food plastic pot with lid,this contains the gel fuel i use for the fuel burner,a lightweight fuel cooker i use made from a sweetcorn tin with drilled holes in ,the lid thing you can see is the actual lid from the food container which fits snuggly inside the sweetcorn tin,in time i will use a plastic bottle but the gel fuel seems to pressureize so am unsure at mo,will get back to you on that one.

as for the other question about the dual hammocks,the feet ends of both hammocks i use are at differant trees so yes in reality there a triangle configuration, if you were to use just 2 tree's i think the two hammocks would lay together as like two havles of a pear,if your with your missus that may be cosy but if its your mate then it'll sound like the fosters advert, only way around it i can see is the configuration of the tree huggers on the header tree for each hammmock,and the width of the tree, if the header tree was 12" plus in diameter then one of the storm rings could be placed left of the tree,the other right off the tree 180 degrees opposite of it, this would give some distance apart but not much,depends how close you are to your buddy, if you lok at the picture i have you'll see the 2 header trees are nearly 4 feet apart so give us a head distance of a couple feet

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
sorry guys have just read the last few posts properly,hahahaha, yeah i think were all singing off the same song sheet about the deflection angles,the only differance is that between the 2 header trees i have and the single tree some of you guys are talking about is the distance deflective angle,yeah theres nowt like waking up with your mates face in front of ya.
have a hang planned before the end of the week so will let you know how the next setup goes,experiment if need be and get some better pictures.
that also of the 2 new underquilts i made from the materials from ebay i bought, one being the lighterweight me version and the second being very very warm but bulkier da missus version,also hopefully film footage of new saw in action with review,just uploaded film footage of weekend on you tube so all have to do is edit before going public on them,after watching the old shugs for soo long its hard not to want to make your vids at least close to his standard of viewing if you know what i mean:eek:

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
well to save starting yet another thread i have just added to this one with more photos of the latest hang, my girlfriend and i and her son all went this time, he's 11 and loves theoutdoors,and her indoors in justhappy to see me chilled and loves the comfort factor of hammocking,only real differance for this nights hang is the set ups,all three of us have seperate tarps(tenth wonder saragossa and hammock setup) and each to there own header and foot trees ,i did some tidying up prior to them getting there and have purchased a new saw which is a bahco 21" woodsman saw with green wood blade,cost me around 16 quid but has reduced the cutting time for an all night burning fire to aorund 30 mins,as you will see your selves
Photo0339.jpg

Photo0340.jpg

Photo0349.jpg

Photo0347.jpg

Photo0345.jpg

Photo0344.jpg

Photo0342.jpg

Photo0341.jpg

Photo0340.jpg

Photo0339.jpg

Photo0338.jpg

Photo0352.jpg

Sat19thmarch.jpg

Photo0350.jpg

Rachenmehanginmarch2011pt2.jpg

Photo0247.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

Birthdayhang.jpg

any questions please ask away, i am aware that a few of them are the same photo from differant angles,its i just wanted to try and get a more panormaic scene fr you to view

p.s yes i do have my hand on her butt and yes we were both merry by the end of the evening resulting in me putting her into her hammock to sleep it off,pretty chilled night thouggh as always,i'm loving this warmer temp at the mo, oh and the underquilt on one of the photos was for her setup was homemade by me,after looking at the commercial ones i was staggered to see how much they cost and made one of my own for around 6 quid which is ultra lightweight and incredibley warm though the down side is its bulky and compression is ****
made using the filling off 2 normal bedroom pillows and a length of folded and sewn into baffles ripstop nylon with hanging pieces of shockcord attached at corners
Photo0333.jpg

Photo0332.jpg
:campfire::grouphug:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
got to ask, don't you get worried that your fire could set light to the ground as it looks like deep pine needles, ...could you not get a "ground" fire going that would / could smoulder away unnoticed and cause problems ? Sorry if this is a daft question, just interested :)

looks a real good set up you have there :) wish my SWMBO would do overnighters like that

stay safe

robbi

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I love hammocking, it's very cool and totally different to tenting. Got a basic one from ebay years ago with a mozzie net, I think i'm too much of a wuss for it in unfamiliar areas though..the badgers fighting at night scares the crums outa me, haha! I always sleep in it with an empty bottle, incase i need a wizz and dont fancy getting out and stumbling around in the dark woods on my tod.

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
yeah robbi,they are deep pine needles and yes it does worry me that a ground fire could start,i'm always very careful to let the flames die down though and extinguish with copious amounts of water(and pee) before i retire foe the night and again if i wake up in the night(much to my annoyance i still dont /cant do the pee in a bottle thing),also before i depart the site i throughly drench it again,and sift through the coals to feel for any residual heat,though in the next few trips i will source a metal sheet or a stone pit to minimise this risk or at worst case the soil from mole hills.
also ,as its getting warmer i think i will drop the fire altogether or leave a bucket bbq up there,but yeah i totally agree and you have to be so careful ,the last thing i wanna do is start a forest fire and ruin this sweet spot i have found.

simon, great, now i have to worry about the badgers fighting,i'd best not tell the girlfriend about this,as i told her it was just foxs mating lol.
yeah she's a good egg for coming along with me, i dont think she gets it just yet why i do it although its very relaxing i think its something more earthy and close to nature etc,but give her her due she likes lighting the fire and winds me up something cronic with her proding fire stick(just let the flamin thing burn on its own woman please)hahaha
yeah hammocking is certainly basic,but i think i prefer its simplicity,certainly the reduction in weight,and given the small site i have found i would much rather hang between the trees than be in a tent or bivvy bag,or maybe its just me and my age wanting a more sedate pace of life:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE