Another myth dispelled

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Beaver tails were the old trappers favourite - or so the books all tell us. Well guys believe me they werent and aint. I just spent a few days with guys who trap for a living and it was unanimus they taste like s**t. In fact the guys I meet all believe it was a old timers joke so they could have a good laugh watching the green horn.

Another myth bits the dust.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I saw a show on TV--oopps, I mean the telly--with Roger Daltrey and he was doin' old timey things. He hooked up with a reenactor who cooked him up some beaver tail and by all appearances, it wasn't too tasty. :-D I forget the name of the show. Anyone familiar with this?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
"Extreme History with Roger Daltrey"
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0381750/
Hoodoo said:
I saw a show on TV--oopps, I mean the telly--with Roger Daltrey and he was doin' old timey things. He hooked up with a reenactor who cooked him up some beaver tail and by all appearances, it wasn't too tasty. :-D I forget the name of the show. Anyone familiar with this?

Sorry guys but it's not a myth at all.
What you have to remember is that in the old days, provisions were pretty scarce and that in the cold tough conditions a person craves fat. A pretty standard extreme food now is a pound of butter rolled in sugar. You'd have problems choking that down too unless you were in extreme cold doing tough work.
Stink eggs (fermented salmon eggs) and oolichan grease are still eaten around here.. Whether you lick your lips or projectile vomit depends on what you've been doing lately...

I'm sure that old timers will remember getting choked down with heavy duty Xmas cake - after already being full of Xmas dinner. It used to be my main hated food as a kid. That same stuff eaten on top of a cold mountain will give a person a whole new perspective. Same concept....

There's lots of meat in there (protein) - but it's also very fatty. The tail is just a big paddle and as you'll notice with your fingers, the muscles that operate them are in the arm. So with the beaver the operating muscles are in the body.
I was going to suggest a similarity to bacon - but you lucky Europeans still have real bacon. Here we search for a package that has some streaks of meat along with a solid gob of fat...
A big problem with the idea of eating beaver is that no-one traps them much any more and so the population has exploded. The ones trapped are those that have been pushed out and are busy building a moat around someone's house etc. They might be able to get by with eating about any type of tree, but eating something that tastes like pinesol isn't too appetizing. Besides the fat content, that's probably the main reason people choke on eating beaver now.

Feb 5, 2004
I would have to disagree with you on this one.
I find beaver tail to be a not bad taisting meal. The big question I have is what was the temperature like out? I have noticed that beaver tail is almost unpalitable in mid-summer, and the taistiest in late winter.
just my 2c worth.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Hoodoo said:
[/quote

Adi007 said:
"Extreme History with Roger Daltrey"
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0381750/

It was on the History channel this morning.
Did any one see it?
It was brill, wonderful dugout canoe, shame it leaked. :)

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Extreme History with Roger Daltry is being shown on the history channel, fridays at 6.00pm or 7.00 on history +.

Not a bad prog.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE