Another leaking pressure kit - PRIMUS 210

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Recently scored vintage kit Primus 210 (I think it is made in 1940s) arrived early this week. It is in good condition cosmetically.

However, on the first run, it leaked paraffin from the pump this time. So I need to work to get it right. So when you are buying any of these vintage kits, would say 8 or 9 out of 10, it will have problems like leaking fuel, not lighting up, no pressure ...etc, and they will require some sort of service work before regular use. So it means when buying these, one has to also add service parts and time to work on them as well on top of the original kit price. It would be good to get one already serviced, and in god working condition. That would be a bonus. cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiwfmWZEkWg

Last edited:

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
For my pressure paraffin heater I got a complete fettle kit from fettle box. It was very easy to install - basically it includes a replacement for every washer in the system. So you learn the equipment very well, and you can have a good degree of confidence in all the seals. I know you can make all of them yourself but, as a beginner, it took a lot of the uncertainties out. I do this for any second-hand pressure lantern I buy - you never know how well the previous owner cared for it.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
The probability of an old Primus stove working now without some attention is about zero. A full set of seals from Fettlebox and a little know-how soon has them back on form though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The probability of an old Primus stove working now without some attention is about zero. A full set of seals from Fettlebox and a little know-how soon has them back on form though.

Utter nonsense, I've bought dozens of old stoves and most worked after oiling the pump leather. Some required fettling but the probability is they won't just to get them running.

OP, sounds like the NRV is playing up, buy an NRV removal tool from base camp and check it out. Often the little pip in the end has failed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE