Another Hennessy question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
My current kit is all tent based, have a 4 man khyam for weeks away and a Terra Nova Quasar for short breaks and ruff camping (got it for £60, bit of a bargain). I have access to 100acres of land where I can shoot and fish, theres a bit of woodland that is ideal for camping out in. It even has a pre cut wood supply, and is a couple of miles from wher I live. I do walk down there , and would like to keep my kit compact so that it fits in the patrol pack I have ordered.

I have been looking at making a mossi proof hammock and buying a reasonable basha. After adding up the prices I found I wasnt far of the price of buying a Hennessy Hammock (from USA) and a Hex fly . My sister can pick the hammock up next time shes out there, and I have a price of £22 delivered for the hex fly. My wife seems quiet keen for me to get out the flat a bit more, she probably wants some peace and quiet ;) And has donated 1/2 the necessary cash to the fund :)

Right question time
Will I fit comfortably in an Expedition Asym (I am 1.8m tall, and around 85Kg)
Is the hex fly worth having
Would the hex fly be usefull as a shelter in its own right
Snakeskins yay or nay?

Bit of a ramble rather than just questions, sorry about that.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Yea! definitely, put up and take down times are reduced to little more than a minute.

However If you search the posts someone mentions a third party snake skin type product specifically designed for the larger hammocks and larger flysheets.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Hex fly is definately better and will do as a shelter on its own however if you have the Hex Fly none of the snake skins supplied by Hennessy will fit. You need to get a set of Python Skins from Jacks Better (http://www.jacksrbetter.com). They are very reasonable price wise and a real boon for setting up etc.

Also if you are ordering direct from Hennessy they used to have a deal where you could swap the normal fly for the Hex fly as a no cost option. That's how I got mine.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Unfortunately (last time I checked) Jacks R Better had stopped selling the python skins becuase Tom Hennessy had just patented his snake skins. Until something is resolved, they won't be able to sell them again. Lucky I picked up mine beforehand...
But I'm sure if you emailed Jacks R Better and said that you wanted to make a 'donation', they might feel inclined to send you a 'gift' of the python skins as a thankyou...

And the hex fly is HUGE. 10 by 12 foot as far as I can remember.

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
Am tempted with the hex, due to its size it could have many uses, would make a reasonable porch for my main tent. Would like to buy the hammock in the UK, will have a hunt around online for a good price.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
btw, I have the Explorer ultralight. It's good for taller or heavier people. I gather that the longer the hammock, the flatter you are able to lay, so you're probably best to opt for an Explorer.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
MagiKelly said:
Also if you are ordering direct from Hennessy they used to have a deal where you could swap the normal fly for the Hex fly as a no cost option. That's how I got mine.

Until fathers day they are offering free snake skins so you get the hex fly the asym and the skins for the usual rrp. Bargain

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Keep an eye out for this guy selling HH's.on ebay I just bought one whichis on the way to me as we speak. The auction is £65 no reserve for an asym and quite a few go with one bid.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Bill, are you taking yours to Sweden? I was going for a bivvi/basha combo as normal but think I'm going to take my hennessy now...but with the larger fly I have with it, that way I have an awning too if the weather is bad.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
A few of us are off on the Bearclaw Vildmark trip to Varmland on Sunday for a week with Preben Mortenson teaching us nordic bushcraft.

We're all really looking forward to it :D

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Yes I am Bam. Assuming it arrives in time but I'm expecting it today. I might need a quick masterclass in setting it up if that's ok mate.

Hubba we are on a course in Ajrang (sp?) from this sunday for a week. Can't wait to see Sweden as I've always wanted to visit.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tenbears10 said:
Yes I am Bam. Assuming it arrives in time but I'm expecting it today. I might need a quick masterclass in setting it up if that's ok mate.

No problem at all Matey, although I haven't had mine all that long ;) Just set it up in the garden myself as it happens to try the new larger tarp, it doesn't half make a difference :D

Right...off out to walk the hound now.... see ya sunday!!!! :D :D :D

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Awwwww. my old stomping grounds =) Spent pretty much every summer during my youth up around Lelången & Lennartsfors (about 10 km south of Årjäng)

To bad i'm now far south from there, around Gothenburg. Well have a fun time up in Värmland :)

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Heh. It's a great area. Just remember that although us "treehuggers" do like Wolves in the wild, the locals do not :) You can encounter both bear, moose and wolf up there (there are at least one pack of wolves roaming Värmland afaik) but of course, they all prefere to stay well clear of us smelly humans :)

Take lots of pics =) I plan to head up there next year actually. And will be stomping about in that same area actually.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE