Another eBay "bargain"

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Wanted some leather to make a watch strap but cast a bid on some larger bits. Ended up with about 90 square feet, including one entire 48 square foot hide!

However, further investigation suggests that it is "bycast" leather, i.e. a split hide coated in polyurethane, to give a consistent finish. By holding a lighter to a small sample, it curls up very quickly (doesn't melt, mind) and so I'm at a bit of a loss what to do with it. The backside should make good strops and it's lovely and soft so should make a few nice pouches.

The irony is, I don't think it's suitable for making a watch strap... :(

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I was gonna say that mustave came from one hell of a big cow

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It is genuine leather, not fake compressed stuff, the hide is cow shaped, had it been entirely artificial, I'd expect it to be square along the edges. Look on Le Prevo, you can get hides that big

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
There is nothing stopping those who make the fake compressed stuff from them making it into a real hide shape is there?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
There is nothing stopping those who make the fake compressed stuff from them making it into a real hide shape is there?

Why would they? Compressed leather is industrial stuff so it's produced in neat shapes to avoid wastage. Making a hide shape makes no sense.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the stuff made for making shoes and bags and for interior furnishings.
It'd probably do fine as a watch strap since most of the ones sold as leather are either that or the reconstituted stuff.

If it doesn't say Full Grain Leather on it then it's not. Real Leather just means that the stuff originated on an animal and not in an oil well.

If what you have is a good colour then it'd make straightforward (and washable and water resistant) possible pouches too.
Maybe not top end stuff, but for fire kits and such like it would do fine.

Have fun :D

M

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I have black, cream, green and brown (in descending order of amount). If anybody wants a free sample of the cream then please let me know

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE