Another bowyers question: rasp files

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Where oh where can I get a suitable sized wood rasp for cutting the nocks on the bow?
I've tried all the usual suspects and a few smaller tool shops but nothing but huge ones or needle files for metal. I know they exist as i have scrounged them in the past, but where can I get one now, and what is the ideal diameter??

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
a round one of these is what you want but where you buy them separately i dont know yet

ah I remember bardster and Chris claycomb have a one each now Chris is in Norway for a week but bardster should be able to tell you where he got his

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I find the little rats tail filles don't last. I work a bit with horn and mother of pearl amd they clog and get trashed so I picked up some diamond files (5 for a tenner from the local tool shop. They look a bit like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001K9TKG

Perhaps buyng 10 just to get the round one might be a bit over the top but you can't own too many tools :)

Having said that, II usually take my nocks out with a knife.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
the other thing you can do , if you want to cut a, let say 6mm nock, is to use a flat batten, 5mm thick, round off one edge to the curve you need and stick some coarse sand paper using double sided carpet tape around the rounded side, its a lot easier to hold than a small dowel and does not break so easily. the batten need to be thinner to accomodate the thickness of the tape and the paper.
Quicker to do than to say! :D

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.