Another bit of leather work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I haven't done much lately on the craft front, but I made this leather "mountainman ish" hunting pouch at the week end. I didn't follow any patterns, just made it to my liking. I prefer soft leather possibles pouches these days, they are more comfortable to carry, they don't poke in your ribs and they are much quieter too.

The pouch! About 9" wide by 7 1/2" high.
DSCN1330.jpg

Posing with my forged "Nessmuk" The blade is about 4 1/2"
DSCN1331.jpg

It's made of pig skin, fully welted and fringed, and lined with dark red linen (obtained from Toddy some while back.. Offcuts, Toddy! I haven't yet made that shirt but I have cut the parts this week...). The flap is double layer of pig skin. All hand sewn with linen thread. The strap is water buffalo leather.

The bag, with view of the lining. The belt retainer next to the buckle was added after I removed the brass buckle, and needs to be dyed
DSCN1324.jpg

Side view, showing the 2" gusset and the triangular shape of the pouch
DSCN1334.jpg

I used brass fittings to start with, but I was not happy with them, because they were far too shiny, obviously machine made stuff and stood out like a sore thumb. So I took them off and forged the buckle and the two rings. I also made the button, with a circle of thick leather covered with pig skin.

Much more like it, me thinks, no shiny brass, no modern stuff, no noisy press studs! My next one will have wool lining, quiet, lighter colour, that will help see what I've got in there but mainly will provide some protection against damp.

One of the forged rings.
DSCN1328.jpg

The forged buckle and the leather button.
DSCN1327.jpg

To use Dogwood's expression in his thread: I am well chuffed with the result :D
Thanks for looking.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautifully done, and I agree about the soft leather working so well for this. :approve:

I can send down pieces of madder dyed wool if you like ? This wasn't the first wash deep red dye, but the exhaust bath and it's a kind of darkish peach colour.

cheers,
M

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi Mate, That looks well good. Your a men after my own heart ( I didn't follow any patterns, just made it to my liking ).

Cheers Topknot.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Thanks guys. I think patterns and such can be useful, but only until I learn how things should go together, or for learning new techniques so I get it right. Even then I find it hard to copy something completely. I suppose it's because the patterns or whatever are made by somebody else and it's their way of doing, not mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE