Another axe completed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PederVisti

Forager
Aug 1, 2012
Western Jutland - Denmark
Hello again, i just finished this axe up, and thought i would show it to the world.
The axe head is forged from mild steel with an edge of ck60, the handle is ash, the weight is 630 grams and the haft is ca. 460mm.
Now i haven't yet sold any axes, but would like to, but before i ever sell an axe i think i would like an axe to be properly tested by someone else than me, someone that knows how to properly use an axe and knows how a good axe should perform.
So i have considered sending this out to someone for review/testing, does this spark any interest on this forum?

Peder Visti

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Good length/head weight combo. Gotta say i'm not mad keen on straight hafts, is it round or oval in section?

Have you got a top down pic of the head?......always a good thing to see when looking at an axe

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That is a nice looking axe. I'm not sure about the straight handle, would have to see how it feels in the hand.

I could assess it myself but I'm not the best person to do so. I'm sure you will get other offers from people with more skill and experience.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've got a lot of firewood to process! I'd be happy to give it a good workout, but I suggest the man you really want is OldJimbo

PederVisti

Forager
Aug 1, 2012
Good length/head weight combo. Gotta say i'm not mad keen on straight hafts, is it round or oval in section?

Have you got a top down pic of the head?......always a good thing to see when looking at an axe
The handle is teardrop shaped in cross-section, tapering towards the front!
Here is a quick picture from the top down:
9f592dfa31f6c93f5aeb7c2ffa92f4a4_zpsjx51uk1b.jpg

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah, good bit of shape to the haft, nice to see an axe hung without a steel wedge now and again too
Bit is slightly on the thicker side but perfectly fine. assuming good heat treat then theres no reason it shouldn't be a decent tool mate

Cracking job

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I like it, and I have no problem with a straight haft either. I couldn't do it justice in a test, though i would love to get my hands on it all the same :)

Wow nice work and a beautiful tool!

I'm a bit too far away to send such a tool, and besides I'm still visiting with grand-kids and great grand-kids and so not at home, otherwise I'd be up for testing anything..

In testing such an axe one has to consider the meditations of Marcus Aurelius - seriously:
"This, what is it in itself, and by itself, according to its proper constitution? What is the substance of it? What is the matter, or proper use? What is the form, or efficient cause? What is it for in this world, and how long will it abide? Thus must thou examine all things that present themselves unto thee."
or as Anthony Hopkins paraphrased it in "Silence of the Lambs, " Ask of each thing, what is its particular nature?"

I'm quite serious because this axe is fashioned after period axes and must be judged and tested as such. So it should function for all three of chopping, splitting and shaping of wood but obviously won't be as efficient as an axe optimized for just two of the three tasks. At the same time an axe optimized for two of the tasks will never work on the third.
The first few of many comparisons which would be unfair are:
- Balanced axes where the larger poll is made to balance the weight of the blade will work far better for horizontal chopping, but are not present even on trade axes of the last century, let alone older axe designs.
- Axes with huge bevel and ramp areas will be far more efficient for both chopping and splitting, but for shaping wood an axe with steep bevels is required since it is held close to the head. If an axe with acute bevels is used, then as it follows the grain the axe head and handle will snap down trapping fingers between wood and axe handle.
- I am a huge fan of the broad hatchet for shaping wood (it doesn't chop or split well), but that only works for straight flat surfaces and joints. In earlier times the general purpose axe was used both to shape flat surfaces, and more importantly curved surfaces.

This design of axe was in use for far longer than our present polled axes, because it does actually work for all three of chopping/splitting/shaping. The more obtuse bevels also make it far better as a skinning tool and for separating joints in butchery. Most of us are familiar with the Gransfors 'Hunter's Axe" where a rounded poll is used in skinning deer. Bigger stuff has the hide more securely attached and so the curved edge of an axe works well - if it has steep bevels (otherwise it's easy to cut into the hide and ruin it.).

I believe that the main testing criteria are wood shaping (flats, joints and curves) and skinning a large animal (and hunting season soon over..).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a bonny looking axe Peder. I like the straight shaft, I had a marking axe similar to it many years back before I got my snedding axe. Think yours would be a very handy camp axe, everything from wood processing, some craftwork as well as food prep. All in a package that isn't going to break the camels back weight wise. Plus she's a looker too. I'm sure someone like Red would be able to put it through it's paces or Mr. Kelly with his background in carpentry. Old Jimbo would also be a good choice if his post is anything to go by. I really enjoyed his erudite post earlier in the thread, I don't think it was a thread killer at all.
Hope you find someone suitable and that sales go well when you start popping them up with a pricetag.
All the best,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

PederVisti

Forager
Aug 1, 2012
Hello again, your post Oldjimbo was not a thread killer at all, work simply got in the way the last few days, and i didn't feel i had time for a "proper" response since your writeup was so well written and meaningful, i know it is very difficult to judge reactions through the internet! :)
The purpose of this axe, in my mind, was to be constructed in the same manner as they where back in the day, and as such this made by the symmetric wrap method using a strap of mild steel with steps forged in it, wrapped back on itself and fire welded with the edge insert in place, the purpose of the axe itself is very much like you and Goatboy described it as.
If you (Oldjimbo) would be interrested i would like the idea of sending this thing to canada for a proper workout!
I will need to make a mask for it, you can contact me through this email and we can arrange something: visti.knifeworks@gmail.com
Thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts!

Sometimes I can use experience to look at an axe and know what it can do when finished. That is simply because of the many years I have devoted to studying, finishing and using axes designed to chop and split. An axe designed after period axes and thus not optimized for just a couple of tasks is incredibly difficult to test. It's not as though I could call a museum and ask to borrow a real period axe so I could compare.
But I do have a Gransfors carving hatchet, and a Gleneagle elk processing hatchet and the name. I was called Jimbo by a now deceased friend. Jim + Rambo seemed appropriate when I carried ALL quarters of a moose out because my friend had a back fixed with steel rods after a fall. Yeah it tells about how I looked after the adventure - wild eyed and soaked in sweat.. But I have quartered and skinned a moose with an axe. I have arthritis so holding an axe for skinning was easier than using a knife. While I had some nice elk T bones this week, there sure aren't any around here on the coast. I guess there isn't any need for a skinning axe in Britain either.
My biggest deficit is in carving. I build bridges not carve ox yokes. So my Gransfors carving axe was bought for completion of a series and investment. Robson is into carving and I have a few connections with the local (native) village so all is not lost.

Yeah, we can do this assessment if no-one in Britain steps up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE