Another 5.11 trouser question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I'm enjoying wearing my 5.11 tactical trousers (although the idea of tactical trousers still makes me snigger). I also quite fancy a pair of the poly-cotton TDUs for hill-walking as I think they have "blousable" trouser cuffs, which I find very handy.

Has anyone got the TDUs? Especially in the Pro-lite or polycotton or whatever they call it. I see the sizing on the TDUs is different (S,M,L etc) and the leg lengths are just S, M, L, so it seems getting a good fit is not so simple. Any views?

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have a couple of pairs, love them.
I've just measured the regular length and it's 32" from the crotch seam to the cuff.

As for the waist, it's elasticated, so each size gives a size range as opposed to a fixed size.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Graham thanks - a couple of follow-ups

- What are the "blousing bands"?
- Are you normally a 32 inch I/L - do they come up long or short? I am normally a 34 inch I/L, but I see the "longs" are a humungous 35.5 inches.
Much appreciated

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Blousing bands are ankle ties. I'm normally a 32 in inside leg and medium are a perfect fit. They are great trousers - I like the poly cotton ripstop TDU - they are the best trousers I have ever owned

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Aren't the OS maps still paper? If so you could fold them to fit most any pocket. I used to carry them in the back pocket of my blue jeans.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
In the past I have folded them (or more correctly 'bowed' it) to fit a cargo pocket that was too shallow and narrow and they came out - fortunately I noticed in time but once bitten .....

Last edited:

edelweiss

Sep 27, 2011
Austria
I have a pair of TDUs, and I found that the velcro on the cargo pockets rips open too easily, especially when the pockets are loaded. Also, the rubber waistband
makes for a very close fit. I'm 1.85cm/75kg and I find my size M TDU almost too tight (I've used regular size M BDU trousers in the past).

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Went for the new Pro-Lite trousers in polycotton ripstop in the end. Coyote colour is a nice brown. The lengths of the TDUs just put me off (32 inches or 35.5 inches). The Prolites also have a "gussetted crotch" which I find comfy :naughty:

Thanks for the advice everyone

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Foot note. I have discovered that the Pro Lite trousers have holes and channels in the trouser cuffs for "blousing bands" to be added if need be (so do the "Tactical"s, in fact). If you hate muddy trouser bottoms or ticks up your legs like me then this is an un-marketed big plus. A bit of shock cord and a toggle fed through the channels in the trouser cuffs does the trick extremely well. Perfect trousers! They knock Fjallraven Greenland trousers into a cocked hat for half the price and are better made.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Only problem I have found with mine is that the belt loops are not reinforced. Mine have come unstitched after wearing them during Bushmoot. Else perfect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE