anonyed with gransfors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
It seems to my simple mind that there are 3 likey scenarios around this axe problem.

1. The axe has gotten through GB's QC process and made it to the point of retail where it's been bought by you.

2. The axe has been altered from the norm prior to you buying it and it's been sold as new to yourself.

3. The axe has been altered from the norm since it was purchased.

There may be others but these seem to be the salient ones.

Given the amount of time that has elapsed since purchase and notification of the product fault. It's perhaps understandable and possibly reasonable the GB are reacting the way they are. Also warranty issues or complaints are generally initially dealt with either by the retailer or the distributor in a given country.

You also need to give the respondents to the issue a reasonable amount of time to react to any query, question or complaint.

Interestingly GB axes have the smiths initials on each one IIRC so that aids in traceability of the product.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
The options presented above by johnboy do seem quite likely to me.

If you did indeed buy it from an individual it is quite possible that they took advantage of your inexperience and passed you on a duff axe.

Their quality control is generally pretty good but I have heard of bad ones slipping through so you could simply be the victim of that.

Two things speak to me though.
"a very convex edge"
"splitting"

Axes should have a convex edge.

And if you are using your axe as a splitter, I can't imagine this is very good for edge retention. Especially if you are splitting hard woods.

Your definition of edge retention may be different to mine but surely after prolonged use the edge will fade. If you have been sharpening it to death it is entirely possible it would be a 1/4" shorter than a new axe.

But then you say that you haven't sharpened it very often? So it didn't need sharpening very often?
I'm confused.

Im no having a go. Just trying to get the facts right.

Andy

geforce83

Jul 8, 2010
sheffield
The options presented above by johnboy do seem quite likely to me.

If you did indeed buy it from an individual it is quite possible that they took advantage of your inexperience and passed you on a duff axe.

Their quality control is generally pretty good but I have heard of bad ones slipping through so you could simply be the victim of that.

Two things speak to me though.
"a very convex edge"
"splitting"

Axes should have a convex edge.

And if you are using your axe as a splitter, I can't imagine this is very good for edge retention. Especially if you are splitting hard woods.

Your definition of edge retention may be different to mine but surely after prolonged use the edge will fade. If you have been sharpening it to death it is entirely possible it would be a 1/4" shorter than a new axe.

But then you say that you haven't sharpened it very often? So it didn't need sharpening very often?
I'm confused.

Im no having a go. Just trying to get the facts right.

Andy

i originally got the axe for spliting firewood and was plenty sharp enough for that but i have recently got into carving spoons, kuksa's paddle etc so i tried to sharpen my axe as i was shown by ben orford using a marker to see where i was sharpening. i only used a 1000 grit and 6000 grit waterstone. after a few cuts on for example beech the edge wasnt cutting but more chipping so i tried to sharpen it again and the same thing happened. i decided to go back to the small wild life hatchet and use that which works alot better,it gets honed and stropped its nice and sharp.

so i decided to ask gransfors for the help at the show to see if they could tell me what i was doing wrong, this is when they compared my axe to theres and there was a noticeable difference in the length of the blade and the blade profile. they then said i must have caused it because all there axes leave in perfect condition. when i asked about how to fix this they became funny almost arrogant with me and basically said i would have to send it back. all i wanted was to be told how to fix it, i didnt want a warenty claim i just wanted my axe to work properly. the impression i was given is that they didnt care and werent interested. i took the axe to nordic outdoors who said they would take the axe and get it sorted. today i get told they spoke to the guys on the gransfors stall after i left and gransfors said " he must have had it on a grinding wheel" which just isnt right. nordic outdoors have emailed gransfors and gransfors want the axe back, where as i was told before i left the axe they would just need pictures i feel like im been passed about and no one wants to take responsiblity. If this is something i have caused i will take full responsablitly, but i dont see how this is possible with very occasional sharpening with a 1000 grit stone and other more experianced bushcraft instructors have said the same.

i have got so fed up with the attitude of the guys from gransfors im intending on getting the axe fix then selling it, what do people think of wetterlings axes?

thanks again guys

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
The more I think about it the more I am inclined to believe that the axe was just duff.

Even if you had removed 1/4" of material there should still be a reasonable amount of hard steel left.

I have to say though that given the evidence I would be inclined to think you'd had it on a grinding wheel too.

Still think that it is pretty good of GB to want the axe back though. Chances are they will either fix it, or replace it if they find it was a QC fault at their end.

And given that they are in Sweden after all, a few weeks wait is reasonable.

Let us know what the outcome is.

Andy

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I have several axes and hatchets, including a Wetterlings Carpenters axe, which I use for carving and general woodwork.

Can't fault it, holds a superb edge and does everything required of it. Highly recommended!

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
The more I think about it the more I am inclined to believe that the axe was just duff.

Even if you had removed 1/4" of material there should still be a reasonable amount of hard steel left

Depends if it's been on a grinding wheel say to reprofile it it could have been overheated and the steel has austenitized back locally to the heat source...

Something is odd while I could see a QC process failing say to not pick up that an axe head had received the correct heat treat or having a poor ground profile for one to get through with a duff heat treat and the incorrect profile on it is very puzzling. If GB's QC was that lax then we should be seeing more examples coming though into the market..

I would think if GB elect to solve the issue with either a repair of replacement product given the length of time since the initial purchase then I would think that speaks volumes about their Customer Service..

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
I love my GB axe and think their customer service is top notch. After the leather mask was "lost" I got another sent for free! In GB's defence, even offering to take a look after 12 months is something considering there is every chance it has been modded or re-ground. What would you do in their circumstances? I think unfortunately for you, the seller may have fettled with it and sold you a bit of a lemon...

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Wow when I read this I thought it was a Gransfor Grills thread and then turned into an Gransfor Uncle Ray thread. (I think you know what I mean :rofl:)
This is the first time I've heard a complaint about GB axes. Mine both came sharp enough to cut paper straight from the box.
I reckon I would have had words with another axe user or Gransfor PDQ if mine didn't hold an edge though as it couldn't be right given the amount of discussion about them on EVERY BushCraft thread.
IMHO I think I would ask someone in the know to re profile it and use the hell out of it (if the steel will then hold the edge)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Depends if it's been on a grinding wheel say to reprofile it it could have been overheated and the steel has austenitized back locally to the heat source...

Something is odd while I could see a QC process failing say to not pick up that an axe head had received the correct heat treat or having a poor ground profile for one to get through with a duff heat treat and the incorrect profile on it is very puzzling. If GB's QC was that lax then we should be seeing more examples coming though into the market..

I would think if GB elect to solve the issue with either a repair of replacement product given the length of time since the initial purchase then I would think that speaks volumes about their Customer Service..

That is also a possibility.

Though surely a poor profile after a year of use is down to user error?

It is entirely possible that he QC guy was just having a bad day and missed one.

Im still curious about the edge retention though. I would not expect an axe to remain shaving sharp indefinitely. The occasional sharpening session would be required. Which is what the op is telling us.

This could of course be a mix of user error and poor QC.

Im just voicing my thoughts on the matter here.
Andy

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Having read all this, my thoughts are that you're telling the truth that you haven't reprofiled the axe with a grinder, but someone has.

My suspicion would be that it was done before you bought it, potentially one that got dropped on concrete and chipped then an idiot re-profiled it and overheated it, just to get it back in the shop.
I think it's a bit unfair to have a go at Gransfors Bruks without also having a go at Nordic Outdoors. If a product is faulty, you take it up with the retailer, which you have done. You getting a replacement shouldn't be determined by GB but actually by NO. I think GB are being cautious (rightly) towards NO about replacing for free, and rather than NO taking the 'hit', they're passing this on to you so they don't lose out but putting a spin on it so that they look like the good cop and GB the bad cop.
If NO sold it in the state you say you had it, they would have had other axes in the shop to compare it to and would have seen a difference. If they don't admit that they sold a poor quality product, who is the one giving poor customer service?

If you get the axe back without it having been re-heat treated, I would hope you're not going to sell it on as it sounds like just a re-profile won't sort the issue.
If they send you a replacement I would see no point in selling it on, and I would also hope that you sing the praises of good customer service one year after buying the axe.

I also hope that one bad experience doesn't sour you for ever. As mentioned above, lots of people have GB axes and the issues with them are minimal. I'm sure the majority of people buying kit from NO are happy with what they get and get good service. Don't write people off for one mistake.

geforce83

Jul 8, 2010
sheffield
Having read all this, my thoughts are that you're telling the truth that you haven't reprofiled the axe with a grinder, but someone has.

My suspicion would be that it was done before you bought it, potentially one that got dropped on concrete and chipped then an idiot re-profiled it and overheated it, just to get it back in the shop.
I think it's a bit unfair to have a go at Gransfors Bruks without also having a go at Nordic Outdoors. If a product is faulty, you take it up with the retailer, which you have done. You getting a replacement shouldn't be determined by GB but actually by NO. I think GB are being cautious (rightly) towards NO about replacing for free, and rather than NO taking the 'hit', they're passing this on to you so they don't lose out but putting a spin on it so that they look like the good cop and GB the bad cop.
If NO sold it in the state you say you had it, they would have had other axes in the shop to compare it to and would have seen a difference. If they don't admit that they sold a poor quality product, who is the one giving poor customer service?

If you get the axe back without it having been re-heat treated, I would hope you're not going to sell it on as it sounds like just a re-profile won't sort the issue.
If they send you a replacement I would see no point in selling it on, and I would also hope that you sing the praises of good customer service one year after buying the axe.

I also hope that one bad experience doesn't sour you for ever. As mentioned above, lots of people have GB axes and the issues with them are minimal. I'm sure the majority of people buying kit from NO are happy with what they get and get good service. Don't write people off for one mistake.

Thanks I think you have raised several good points:

I honestly haven't used a grinder ( wouldn't know how to)

The reason I was anoyed was because it felt they didnt care about my problem and acussed me of lying. When all I wanted was advice (I didnt know there was a problem till GB pointed it out)

I was anoyed with both NO and GB however No did seem to have more sympathy

I wouldn't sell the axe on I don't want someone else to surf the same problems .

When this is all sorted I will let everyone know good or bad I'm a big believer in credit where credits due

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE