annual scout survival skills badge course (dead rabbit pic)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
here's a few selected pics rom the scouts survival course last weekend.

two scouts and a scanty lean-to
sargey_home-sweet-home.jpg

scouts will be scouts, i'm afraid this lot ate their mascot
sargey_scouts-will-be-scouts.jpg

if you can't burn stuff, you can bang stuff. this scout is applying lessons learnt on how to do big jobs with a small knife. in this case splitting a log bigger than my little lapp puukko. notice the handle sticking out on the right hand side, and the chisel/drift sticking out of the top. he could also have used a wedge. but the chisel is quick and easy for a one off task. these guys are on the advanced course. they have to perform tricks andmake things to barter for food.
sargey_small-knife-big-job.jpg

this guy demonstrates where not to do it
sargey_bowl-banging.jpg

and how to do it with no crooked knife.
sargey_what-no-crooked-knife.jpg

my own compact residence for the weekend, also doubles up as a snug classroom. we use the star fire to teach fire management. the stuff on the ponchos is a load of natural and artificial tinders, fire lighters, various stages of kindling and so on.
sargey_sargey%5C%27s-big-tarp.jpg

all in all a great if very tiring weekend.

cheers, and.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I would have never though of using a rabbit when I'd run out of paracord!!!!
:rolmao: :rolmao:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I am afraid I can't see the picks on the machine here in work but I'll have look over the weekend.

But I'm curious.

Can you tell me more? Is this a district or national event and does it play a part in your national badge work scheme.

We're revamping everything here since the merger Uniforms, Badge work and Leader training etc.

I would love to see a proper programme for backwoods training both for leaders and scouts/ventures a like.

James

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
nominally it's a county badge course. in practical terms we have scouts, explorers and leaders from all over. there's a 36 hour exercise, which is a pererequisite to the 48hr exercise. and an instructors badge. next year we'll be upping the skill level on the 48 hr exercise. adopting the DofE bushcraft/survival syllabus/standard, at least that's the plan, sort of.

check out the DofE website. the bases on the training day are:

1. Fires and burning qualities of wood
2. Backwoods cooking
3. Edible plants and fruit
4. Search & rescue
5. Direction finding
6. Sharp Objects
7. Personal Hygiene

cheers, and.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Cheers fella some good work youre doing there! :-D Incidentally does anyone have additional insurance against accidents/ injuries etc. as I've recently been doing D of E work and it seems the teaching unions don't approve but say if you are involved you should be covering yourself- especially the first aid/ expedition side of things. Any thoughts :?:

Blue Sky, Jim.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Sorry, no idea about how any of this stuff works just trying to work out what protection I can get in case things ever go :z: .

Any information on public liability and other areas would be most welcome.

Blue Sky, Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE