Annual revision of first aid kit, what do you carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Re Rescue Breaths
I did my First Aid at work refresher course a couple of months back and the whole Vinnie Jones staying alive thing (ie hands only CPR) came up.
The instructor explained that many people are reluctant to try conventional CPR as they think they will do it wrong and may be wary of getting into kissing distance of a complete stranger. The BHF campaign was launched to try and encourage people to have ago as its better than nothing. Standard CPR should always be used where you feel comfortable to do so, 30 compressions to 2 rescue breaths. She also mentioned that unless you break a rib or two your doing it wrong :eek:.

I was told about the break a rib thing too. And I find it hard to understand how people can care more about catching something than saving a life ... hope I'm not stuck on a hill with any of them!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can buy single tablet 300mg Aspirin tablets which as Eds said is what you need to give in a suspected heart attack situation, easier still may be chewable Aspirin (carry both).

Inhalers? Ventolin is off the prescribed list now, you can buy it in Asda stores with a pharmacy and other places, you need to tell the pharmacist why you need it and that you have had it prescribed in the past I believe but I'd not give it to anyone other than a known asthmatic to be honest. It may not kill someone not used to it but it can cause tachycardia, drop your BP ect so be extremely careful with it you could do more harm than good.

mholland

Jan 3, 2013
cheltenham
Re: the asprin for suspected MI. Do you know how to administer it?

I'd recommend carrying a chewable asprin, they're shown to be the fastest to take effect
update0505a_clip_image001.jpg

Why do you say to take them out? They're invaluable invaluable in a heart attack by inhibiting platelets in the blood

Inhalers? Ventolin is off the prescribed list now, you can buy it in Asda stores with a pharmacy and other places, you need to tell the pharmacist why you need it and that you have had it prescribed in the past I believe but I'd not give it to anyone other than a known asthmatic to be honest. It may not kill someone not used to it but it can cause tachycardia, drop your BP ect so be extremely careful with it you could do more harm than good.

Yes i'd defiantly only give it to someone who was panting and claiming to be asthmatic, that's great that it's no longer on the prescribed list :)

I'd recommend carrying a chewable asprin, they're shown to be the fastest to take effect
update0505a_clip_image001.jpg

Why do you say to take them out? They're invaluable invaluable in a heart attack by inhibiting platelets in the blood

I was showed graph this on a slide in a presentation, a bought some form my first aid kit and my parents home straight after :)

Ste

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Right I just brought this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snowsafe-Mountain-First-Aid-Kit-/380556162171

And I was thinking about putting it in this - http://www.tangofighter.com/Rip_Away_EMT_Pouch_p/ma41.htm

I'll chuck some cyalumes in with it and re-read this thread but do you think it'll add up to a basic kit? I have only done basic first aid so there is no point me having loads of fancy gubbins as I'd probably do more harm than good.

Any suggestions? Reason I was thinking the MOLLE pouch is that all my kit is MOLLE so I can whack it on my pack and take it off if needed.

mholland

Jan 3, 2013
cheltenham
Just my 2 cents, but i'd get a red, case, just for viability. Someone else with you can easily spot a red first aid kit more easily than an og one hidden in your sack. Life systems, make brilliant cases and you can buy an empty case from them

Edit...i see they do that in red too....:banghead:

Robin DuBois

Apr 29, 2013
nfa
my first aid kit is a army surplus trauma pouch i got for £8, designed to hold not much more than one sealed bandage kit, so i carry that, as a provision for major injuries, plus iodine tincture, antiseptic spray, saline eyewash, a range of plasters, gauze, scissors, bandage roll, antiseptic wipes, disposable nitrile gloves, disposable face mask.
Its a small neat pouch that just fits those items and sits on my belt and has been useful so many times its earned a permanent place on my edc kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE