Animal Tracks & Signs book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Hiya

I ordered a copy of this book by Preban Bang & Preben Dahlstrom through the library, and have been giving it a quick look over this morning. It looks like there may be an error or two in the labelling of a couple of the drawings in the book.(2006) issue.

Anyone know of any errata sheets for this book or has anyone a list of any printing errors that are known?

Just a quick glance this am showed that the drawing on page 21 had Muntjac prints labelled as White-tail and what was labelled as Muntjac, must by default be wrong too.

I don't know enough about tracks to know how much else may have been misprinted , so I'm a little reluctant to spend time teaching myself things that may be wrong.

or then again, I could be hopelessly wrong. :eek:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hiya

I ordered a copy of this book by Preban Bang & Preben Dahlstrom through the library, and have been giving it a quick look over this morning. It looks like there may be an error or two in the labelling of a couple of the drawings in the book.(2006) issue.

Anyone know of any errata sheets for this book or has anyone a list of any printing errors that are known?

Just a quick glance this am showed that the drawing on page 21 had Muntjac prints labelled as White-tail and what was labelled as Muntjac, must by default be wrong too.

I don't know enough about tracks to know how much else may have been misprinted , so I'm a little reluctant to spend time teaching myself things that may be wrong.

or then again, I could be hopelessly wrong. :eek:

I have the same book, mis-sold to me by an eBay seller claiming it as being by Ray Mears, (we live and learn.) The correct impression of the muntjac track are shown on page 76, so I just have put it down to a simple labelling error at the editors/compilers. Checking on the net it seems un-common to mix up the tracks of a muntjac with anything else deer like

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
I got the same book from amazon a few weeks back, also listed as being as Raymond Mears. Very cunning marketing ploy if you ask me, his picture is on the front and he wrote the intro.

I don't know the first thing about tracking (except for what i've read in said book) but I did noticed that the Muntjac track didn't look right ... I just put it down to my complete lack of knowledge!

It's a very very good book though.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
It is a great book, like you said just a labelling error I think so don't take it as a mistake on the authors' part. They definitely know their stuff. I'll have a quick check through and make sure there are no more if you like, I haven't picked it up for a while so can't remember offhand.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
It is a great book, like you said just a labelling error I think so don't take it as a mistake on the authors' part. They definitely know their stuff. I'll have a quick check through and make sure there are no more if you like, I haven't picked it up for a while so can't remember offhand.
That would be great, I've alread set to my copy with a magic marker, I like theses thing to be right.
Me 'retentive' whatever next... :)

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
The track labelled white tailed deer is muntjac and pg 76 shows what white-tailed deer tracks actually look like. I'm baffled as to what the label should read on what they are calling muntjac on pg 21 though - any ideas?
Can't see any other mislabelled pics after a quick flick through. :D

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I have no doubt that it's just a mislabelling error, but where there's one etc....

As to what the Muntjac labelled track actually is I have absolutely no idea, big though ain't it :D

Thanks for the info so far guys

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
You are correct that the Muntjac track is incorrect in this edition being swapped with the much larger White Tailed Deer. (I have an earlier version when it was published by Collins). I'll be happy to check any other suspected errors with that as it is essentially the same content but before the RM foreword.
Alan

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Its dissapointing when you buy a book like this and then find an obvious error in it because you then begin to wonder how many other mistakes there are. Thats exactly how I felt when I bought mine a few years ago, mine's a 2003 edition.I mentioned the error to Rhoda at the Outdoorsshow a couple of years ago just as Max's book had come out. Looks like some of us have covered the same ground(ooh a tracking pun) and with it being reprinted a few times now you'd have thought that it would have been sorted by now. I've not found or heard of any other mistakes and I still think that its a great book.If any of the tracking experts do find any others then by all means stick them on here so that we can all amend our copies :D

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Mine is a 2001 edition, I'm really surprised that the error has not been amended in subsequent editions. I'm tempted to go through all my books now, I wonder how common these types of mistake are. Might have to wait for a very rainy day though :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE