Angrboða's new jacket.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Some of you have seen the Daneaxe that Dave Budd made for me.

Whitby-Evening.jpg

Well I've been carrying it around with a leather mask that Dave made for it and although that was serviceable enough, we both knew it was not really "Authentic" for the period.

Angrboda-Mask-I.jpg

As far as we can tell from Archaeology, wood was used to mask weapons such as swords and also tools such as axes, a practice that survives to this day in Scandinavia.

Agrboda-Mask-II.jpg

So this made another nice little project to improve my wood working skills.

For reference, the face design comes from a Runestone at Aarhus and the battle between Jörmungandr and Þórr comes from one of the horse bows found at Mammen.

It was made from a very well seasoned piece of oak panelling (Hard as nails!) and the axe channel was carved in both sides before being glued together. The modern glue would have been sufficient for the job but I added the stitching to reinforce the join because the Viking age glue would not have been as strong.

Coloured up with some oil and tar then secured with a bit of reindeer hide cord.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely piece of work that, is the seax shape to the mask usual? Or do you think that seax sheaths and axe masks could be repurposed. Both axe and mask look stunning. I can almost smell the iron tangyness looking at the pictures. Funny we don't often link smell to tools but I do and was getting it the other day as the saw warmed up cutting through some very old pine roof joists. The blend of pitch pine and warm iron is a comfortable smell for me. (There were also some absolutely perfect cutnails in the joist piece we removed. Thinking of making something out of them).
Stunning again Wayland really loving seeing your setup in more depth, who knows maybe get to see it for real one day.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers, it's just odd that is looks so similar then. Though if viewed on a belt might make it seem that the wearer had a seax there. Lovely work I really like it, be interested to see the other one sometime.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Show off! :D
What a trio. Really stunning work there. Saw the picture in an other thread and was salivating over it. All three are lovely but I'm finding the wee axe cover especially sexy.
Top work, really is.
GB.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Yes, or maybe something more like "She who brings sorrow", or "The messenger of sorrow". There is one word that can have several meanings :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE