Andywink BA Tarp review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Won a tarp from the Spirit of the campfire auction on BCUK which was kindly donated by andywink of these parts. Got it last week and only managed to get round to unwrapping it on Saturday!! Anyways, here it is straight out the bag and onto the (soon to be freshly mowed by Mrs C) lawn.

3437830597_d3f4d8f445_b.jpg

Left to right;
  • pair of poles from this thread
  • Old fishermans bivvy or tent bag I wombled at Loch Chon, it was ripped in a couple of places but a wee bit of darning and it's serviceable again and a great fit for this tarp :D
  • The BA (Big A***) Tarp
  • A DD 3x3 lightweight tarp
Here it is laid out with the DD 3x3 on top, now I thought this was going to be 4.5m by 3m but obviously it is a wee bit bigger, took me a while to figure this out! It's more like 4.5mx4m, definitely a BA Tarp!

3438643184_626595240e_b.jpg

Here it is again showing 4 ridge loops, 2 on the edges and 2 on the seams.

3438643488_0e423366e8_b.jpg

I usually put the tarps up between my deck and the Rowan tree we have growing against the wall but this guy was too big, waayy too big, so had to go between the Rowan tree in my garden and the Rowan tree in the neighbours garden (via the whirly gig)

3437831845_8343c51707_b.jpg

One thing I did like about this tarp was the sheer quality of the material, it was very nice heavyweight coated 4oz nylon, has a really great feel to it. It's more like the older DD tarp than the new one. Apologies for the comparison but it may be a frame of reference for some people. DD tarp info here This is not a lightweight tarp by any stretch but at this size I doubt a lightweight tarp would survive long. I liked the 'weightiness' of it a lot.

Stiching and webbing is great too, here's the corner detail, front;

3438644274_dfbaea3759_b.jpg

and rear to show the reinforcing;

3438645886_cbb42a45c9_b.jpg

could it do with more reinforcing?? Not sure but after giving it a real good tug (as in ouch that para cord hurts type tug,) nothing, I suspect it'll be just fine!!

Edge stitching and webbing, front;

3438645490_1e72a705f0_b.jpg

and rear, note the seam taping;

3437834087_02449ef590_b.jpg

and finally the ridge loops;

3437832707_903d4899ba_b.jpg

3438645182_e630020785_b.jpg

nice....... :cool:

I was looking for one of these for a group shelter for canoeing/car camping so obviously weight is fine for that, as is the larger size of the BA tarp over a 3x3. After a wee bit of tarpology, I put this up, there was even enough material for a ground sheet although normally I think I would fold this back so as not put anything on it so 4.5x3 would have been an OK size for this. The poles are 58" (147cm) and the paddles are 155cm/160cm for scale.

3438646490_3075e21db7_b.jpg

3438646954_a03e239a24_b.jpg

and this is it all packed away;
3438647458_809a1323cc_b.jpg

What could be better? Well a couple of minor things, all of which may add to the cost;
  • Maybe some more reinforcement on the webbing attachment points, they are probably OK as they are, but I'm a fan of overengineering!
  • Some more attachment points and loops would be good too for flexibility when tarpologizing, maybe 2 pairs on the seams halfway between the ridge and the edge and another 2 pairs along the short edges midway between the ridgeloop and the corners? These would let you make a deeper space inside the shelter as you could peg it down two thirds of the way back rather than half (if that makes sense...)
  • A stuff sack, just to keep it tidy, it's quite slippy material so you need to cinch it up tight to keep it in a roll. This wouldn't cost much and it'd be a big help but it'd need to be big enough to take a ridge line, some guys and pegs and my cackhanded tarp rolling!!
These are all very minor points and maybe just to fit what I want to use it for, but I'd definitely like a stuff sack if I was buying one.

In summary, a top quality piece of kit, material quality is ace, stitching, seam sealing etc looks great too. A Scottish summer will give it a proper roadtest but it's a cracking bit of kit for those in need of a BA Tarp!

Cheers,

Alan

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
it's really nice to see ridge loops stitched on both sides because mine just has a loop and one stitch which leads to creasing alot of the time!

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i have not been able to get out camping for a few weeks since getting my tarp off andy but what i did do was put it up in the garden for a whole week in what ever wind , rain ,frost and sun but it lasted very very well. no pulling on the tapes or seams. the tarp is well made and looks great. thanks andy.

I have a few of his tarps he sold his soul to the knife maker mwahah, He is doing some now in a slightly lighter material I havnt had chance to use it yet but its a lot lighter than the one in the review ( i have one of those as well ) used it a few times never had any trouble with it , its very big great for ground dwelling

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I want one

and a teppee

and a baker tent

Watch this space for a review of Andy's prototype tipi.

I'm taking it camping with the Scout's next weekend - my daughter and the other female Scout are sleeping in it for it's first outing, whilst I sleep in the hammock under one of Andy's tarps!

Simon

Watch this space for a review of Andy's prototype tipi.

I'm taking it camping with the Scout's next weekend - my daughter and the other female Scout are sleeping in it for it's first outing, whilst I sleep in the hammock under one of Andy's tarps!

Simon

I'll be very interested to read that Simon. Will you post a separated thread, or should I keep my eye on this one?

Mine arrived today, first class delivery and speed!

just got it out the bag, and its lovely, great job Andy.

Its that good i think i will be ordering the smaller one too!!

Cant wait to try it out tonight, in the woods, what a great excuse to head out!!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Mine arrived today, first class delivery and speed!

just got it out the bag, and its lovely, great job Andy.

Its that good i think i will be ordering the smaller one too!!

Cant wait to try it out tonight, in the woods, what a great excuse to head out!!

You won't be disappointed mate, i got the 4x4.5 mtr which i took out last month, Shead the hail and was really quiet in the wind, fantastic piece of kit.:D

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Is that the one you converted into the ice bath Andy? ;)

that's the one Steve, got my ridgeline sorted now with 9mm purloin and a truckers hitch to get it tight and the guy ropes have been sorted with shiney ones and bungee ties, proper job now mate. Can you tell me and Davey569 have been practising ?
Are you going up to Woodstock new site ? i'm there next weekend, couldn't get a pass out for this one.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
that's the one Steve, got my ridgeline sorted now with 9mm purloin and a truckers hitch to get it tight and the guy ropes have been sorted with shiney ones and bungee ties, proper job now mate. Can you tell me and Davey569 have been practising ?
Are you going up to Woodstock new site ? i'm there next weekend, couldn't get a pass out for this one.

LOL.... I've learnt a new way to get the ridgeline taut that's really effective so I'll be doing it for this tarp. Make sure you have a look see at Rough Close.

As for coming up for woodstocks meet I doubt it.... on a short leash atm as I've been out/due out a fair so got the decorating to catch up on :( Mind you, I'm only 4 years behind on it so I'm not doing too bad but you can only push their patience so far :rolleyes:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
LOL.... I've learnt a new way to get the ridgeline taut that's really effective so I'll be doing it for this tarp. Make sure you have a look see at Rough Close.

As for coming up for woodstocks meet I doubt it.... on a short leash atm as I've been out/due out a fair so got the decorating to catch up on :( Mind you, I'm only 4 years behind on it so I'm not doing too bad but you can only push their patience so far :rolleyes:

I'll come and find you mate. Couldn't figure the hitch for ages but then tried it one weekend and thought how easy it was. Got to bring my son to the Midlands meet at the end of the month, it was the only way i could get a pass, my wife was coming also but now she's not.:D Be strange not having a drink. :rolleyes:
4 years is nothing Steve, i got away with decorating the downstairs loo for near enough 14 years. It's done now though as i promised to do it to get to one of the meets last year

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE