Andy Woods First Bushcraft Survival Sharp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A review and a half :D

How about lifting shells from rocks and opening up oysters and the like ?.......and then see if it'll fillet a fish.

As an aside; I hate seeing a knife tested to 'destruction'; I'd rather see it thoroughly well used

I'm curious about the inner ferro rod though....is there no corrosion at all? Damp compartment and other metals around it make me wonder.

Looking forward to the next bits of the review :) Thanks for the first episode :D

cheers,
Toddy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
A review and a half :D

How about lifting shells from rocks and opening up oysters and the like ?.......and then see if it'll fillet a fish.

As an aside; I hate seeing a knife tested to 'destruction'; I'd rather see it thoroughly well used

I'm curious about the inner ferro rod though....is there no corrosion at all? Damp compartment and other metals around it make me wonder.

Looking forward to the next bits of the review :) Thanks for the first episode :D

cheers,
Toddy

Trip to the seaside.... brilliant.

I want to test the knife as you'd expect someone too if they were desperate and the jobs were potentially life saving, so shortcuts had to be taken.

As for the ferro. Lookee here....

P1020582_zpsd23eda55.jpg

If you look at the top, you'll see a washer which makes the whole fitting watertight. No water ingress. That was part of the puddle test. Sorry, neglected to mention that in the post. I forgot many things, which I'll cover in the follow ups. Fish prep being one of them. Need to go and arrange a trip to the beach now to get some rubbery limpets.

Reactions: PoppyD

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
To be honest. When Andy told me his asking price, I thought it was insanely cheap and he could have easily have charged double and still have been competitive. I think he has yet to fix a firm price though as my testing may cause revisions. His site and website will be live soon. Although I've done this review, I have no vested interest in his business, so I need to make that clear. I like reviewing knives.

Hopefully he'll join up and contribute to this thread as input into future knives from both sides would be invaluable.

Reactions: PoppyD

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Here's how the hollow handles are engineered. This is a modified design with striker cap.

These appear to have a Scandi grind, rather than the flat ground blade on your test knife. Is the Scandi going to be an option, like the longer handle? It's a great looking knife and a wonderfully thorough review - thank you very much for the work you've put in to it.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Another thing: if you've got a ferro rod running through the tang in the handle, how do the bolts attach the slabs and liners to the tang? Surely the bolts must go through the tang or is there some kind of metallurgical witchcraft going on?

I'm very interested. Has Andy got an order book up and running for these?

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
nice review JD.
how about making a bow drill set as a test?
I agree , that's my first test for a knife, hammering through steel pipes and stupid things like that are just stupid.
If a knife can process and carve wood to make a bow Drill set and get a fire going then it's ok by me.
I have a Andy Wood FB knife and I will also get one of these for the collection.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
New found respect for yersen and Mr Wood. I didn't think there was room in my life for another knife......or is there ??? One of these or a HillBill Nessie .......Arrrgggghhh.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE