And so it begins...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Going out tomorrow morning for a little walk with my daughter and my mini kit to see if we can create fire and get the basics of a shelter together. Should be fun!

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
mini first aid kit we managed to put together from bits and bobs in the house.

JMTtgYj.jpg

plasters
sling
heavy bandages
eye specific bandage
hypafix cut to size bandage
gauze
medical tape

its missing some things but it covered pretty much everything we needed for today

also, i went on a little trip today, the report is in the "out and about" section (or will be soon, busy uploading pictures hehe). let's just say that the edge i thought i had on my axe, is about as much use as a hammer. i would have had more luck cutting logs with another stick than my axe haha. back to the drawing board on that one.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Since you knife appears to be carbon steel, you may want to consider grinding a "flat" on the back of the blade, just in front of the handle. Give it a nice 90deg edge to act as a scraper to generate sparks with your ferro rod (as a back up)

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
i did try to strike with my knife today and it just skipped off every time. it does have a small edge on it but obviously not enough to create the friction needed. i dont suppose you have a link to a thread explaining how to create the "flat" or if you could be bothered, a hand written description from yourself?

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Be extra careful, tape blade cutting edge repeatedly so that it will not accidentally cut yourself when handling it. I very lightly touch the back spine of the blade just ahead of the handle to a grinding wheel and until I produce a "flat". Don't over pressure the contact, and don't over heat the blade. If you don't have a grinding wheel an auto repair garage could do it for you, only takes a minute. Johnny boy 1971 might be able to direct you in the right direction. It just gives you an extra option.
General speaking the back spine of a knife blade is to "round" to produce a decent consistent spark. To bad I have a "pond" in between us or I could help better.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Thanks for the description and the video link. I'll get on to that sharpish as my firesteel tool is pretty clunky to use as the elastic isnt really that larger and the striker is pretty small.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
haha i feel like such an idiot. i really need to think outside the box. i'd be stuffed in a survival situation without some lateral thinking

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds

Updated pic of my kit now.

Thanks to Globetrotter.uk, Onfire and Tank for being unbelievably generous and helping to get us out of the house more often, with donations of unused kit. I honestly can't tell you how much i appreciate it. My kit has gone from the basics, to only missing a hammock/sleeping bag, a sleeping mat and a rucksack to carry it all in, thanks to you guys. You've made a newbie very, very happy and probably gained a stalker for life :D

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE