ancient woodland indicators

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
ive been looking into awi's. But one thing i havnt found is why?..
e.g. wood sorrel is an awi, but why?
does it have something to do with the way they grow, how long they take to grow/propigate etc?

much appreciated,
Dan.

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Good question. I'm not sure. I'll ask a buddy of mine when I see him. He just finished a project on ancient woodlands so might know off the top of his head.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
they probably just don't spread very easily to new locations or just take a long time to re-populate a clear felled sight. change in conditions could also be a reason, invasive species.

dogwood, spindle, crab apple and wild service are good indicators.

pete

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
they probably just don't spread very easily to new locations or just take a long time to re-populate a clear felled sight. change in conditions could also be a reason, invasive species.

dogwood, spindle, crab apple and wild service are good indicators.

pete

This is pretty well it. It's primarily about how rapidly a species colonises secondary woodland. To use them properly you need a little local knowledge too. Dogs mercury for instance collonises slowly in some areas but spreads quickly into 19th c hedgerows in other places. One species is not enough to say it is ancient woodland but if you find a suite of indicator species then it is a good indication that it was not pasture 100 years ago. Couple this with old coppice stools, woodbanks and such then it's time to look up the earliest maps and you get the whole picture.

antzy

Sep 8, 2010
Dorset
not sure but

in my archaeology days I'm sure there was a way to date hedges - count the number of species every so many yards and you could get a rough age - sure if you look it up on google it would be there somewhere

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
not sure but

in my archaeology days I'm sure there was a way to date hedges - count the number of species every so many yards and you could get a rough age - sure if you look it up on google it would be there somewhere

That one is different. It is Hoopers rule and is a good rule of thumb. Walk 30 metres of hedge count the woody species and 1 species = 100 years. That works not so much due to colonisation as due to the fact 19th century hedges were planted pure thorn where 1000 year old hedges were derived from the mixed woodland when the fields were cleared. It was complicated by 1980 onwards hedges being planted with a "standard broadleaf mix" and so instantly 1000 years old.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
This is pretty well it. It's primarily about how rapidly a species colonises secondary woodland. To use them properly you need a little local knowledge too. Dogs mercury for instance collonises slowly in some areas but spreads quickly into 19th c hedgerows in other places. One species is not enough to say it is ancient woodland but if you find a suite of indicator species then it is a good indication that it was not pasture 100 years ago. Couple this with old coppice stools, woodbanks and such then it's time to look up the earliest maps and you get the whole picture.

What are the earliest maps available and where can you find them? I've found OS maps dating back to the late 19th century but wondered if there are earlier ones??

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What are the earliest maps available and where can you find them? I've found OS maps dating back to the late 19th century but wondered if there are earlier ones??

It depends where you are but many areas have maps going back to around 1600, that is the reason for deciding to define "ancient woodland" as being woodland that has been on the site for 400 years. The only easy way of checking for sure is by maps. Your local record office would be the best place or your local reference library may help if they have been published more recently.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
It depends where you are but many areas have maps going back to around 1600, that is the reason for deciding to define "ancient woodland" as being woodland that has been on the site for 400 years. The only easy way of checking for sure is by maps. Your local record office would be the best place or your local reference library may help if they have been published more recently.

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE