Ancient britain

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I've been revisiting History of Ancient Britain by Neil Oliver, currently three episodes in. I watched it a long time ago but for some reason it's really hit home this time round.
I don't think I fully appreciated two things:
The first is just how few people were around in the Mesolithic eras and earlier, presumably due to the large amount of land needed to support hunter gatherer societies, along with an unwillingness to venture far into the forests.
The second thing that struck me is just how staggering the change from mesolithic to neolithic really is, with the development of farming and more settled communities, and subsequent growth in population, trade and conflict. It really is a remarkable change.
What gets me is that prior to this change, we didn't live all that differently to other animals. We built rudimentary shelters, we foraged, we hunted. As did the other animals. We used tools, but again, other animals have been shown to use objects around them for various purposes. I guess what set us apart was the dexterity that came with opposable thumbs and enough intelligence to figure out mastery of fire and the eventual planting of seeds.
There's something about that development in our history that seems a little sad, and on the grand scheme of things, it has happened remarkably quickly. In any case, it's a great series, on iPlayer.

Reactions: William_Montgomery

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've been studying the Mesolithic and Neolithic in Britain for some years now and the more I study the more respect I have for those early British. They had fantastic skills with their basic tools and materials, they were problem solvers, and they were thinkers.

Reactions: GreyCat

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I'd love to have a go making flint tools. There's tonnes of the stuff in my area and when I have the time I'll find a course and give it a go.
I was also struck by the differences in skills between the folk that lived pre-ice age, on the tundra, and those later inhabiting a woodland environment, birch, alder, oak and so on. Two very different environments. I guess following the change to neolithic and subsequent discovery of metal working, the next big change was the industrial revolution, then perhaps the age of computing?
In any case, it got me thinking about the concept of rewinding our land, natural habitats vs agricultural use and so on. What counts as natural or 'original'? I'm not so sure anymore, after watching this series.

Reactions: GreyCat

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It is a difficult subject. Some people consider a medieval farming landscape 'natural'; it's what they've been force fed as 'typical' countryside. I personally treat the Mesolithic and early Neolithic, very lightweight farming, era as the last 'natural' state for Britain. Our wildlife has evolved over hundreds of thousand of years, if not millions, we have been intensively farming for only around 4,000 years. What we call farmland birds are species that have adapted to take advantage of our farming environment because of loss of natural grasslands etc. The species haven't changed at all.

I chair an organisation called the Montgomeryshire Habitats Management Group (a bit of a mouthful I know). Our aim is to support land owners and managers (our membership includes anything from a garden to a farm and even large estates) to improve habitats for increased biodiversity. By trying to create all the seral stages of early British habitats (not all on one site) we will protect and improve our habitats for wildlife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE