Anathema to the Knife sharpening purists?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up All,

Not sure which forum this fits into - can't see a pure C&E one?
I don’t know if this has appeared before but if so I think it is worth a revisit.
This is probably going to cause some die hard traditionalist ‘sharpeners’ to rise up in arms and ‘troll’ me but the thing works so here goes:
I’ve been sharpening blades since I was a kid, a time when owning a pen knife was derigueur, almost ‘a right of passage so to speak’. Surrounded by Yorkshire sandstone (literally) me mother’s doorstep was the best slip stone a lad could have wished for (even though I’d had to work through the Cardinal Red and usually end up with a clip round the ear for having done it – now I’ll bet that ages me to some!) and we’d spend hours honing our blades until they could split a hair – well, that’s what we told ourselves!
Over the years and careers, blades have always featured either as tools, weapons or both and so dry-stones, whetstones, pucks, diamond plates, ceramic rods etc have always featured alongside – accompanied by an oily rag! When you are using blades intensely/protractedly (maybe employed to do so) you cannot always stop and spend (a lengthy amount of) time to hone a blade as you might usually wish to (nor do it for several companions either). About a month ago I admit it; I was drawn into one of those video promos on a small digital screen whilst looking around a garden centre for a pair of leather work gloves (for BC activities). (Digression – visits to three subsequent centres turned up no gloves in my size of any description, apparently I’m XXL – no way! – it’s the Far East production issue again!). The video concerned the item shown in the images – The Neat Ideas Garden Sharpener. I was hooked, I bought one, I’ve used it throughout a whole day of making improvised basher pegs from seasoned oak during which time the knife (Mora SS) periodically became dull but was re-vitalised by the sharpener. It can shave the hairs off my arm and slice newspaper with just the weight of the knife and a slight pull back. The bonus is that it has a small oil bottle in the handle and a piece of wadding in the cap – useful for carbon blades. £6. It might not be something that you would use on your Ray Gears-box-set-Gucci-mantle-piece-ornament but for a working tool it does the trick. The only downside to me is that it will leave less history (if correctly disposed of) - that doorstep in Yorkshire is still there and so are the depressions from my sharpening – how’s that for leaving your mark!

Sharpener(i).jpg Sharpener(ii).jpg Sharpener(iii).jpg Sharpener(iv).jpg

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I sharpen my OWN knives and machete with one very similar, or run it over a little sharpening stone in my pocket. I hone the ones I make and sell down to 8000g oilstone but would say a pull through like that gets them workably sharp and more. A knife is a tool, and I don't polish my hammers!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks okay to me. Though I own some expensive sharpening kit I keep a BladeTech in my pocket.
I was a bit dismissive of the lass demonstrating them at the gamefair thinking that no way would I let the little £9.99 sharpener near my knives.
However it's quick, light and always about my person and puts a passable edge on most things. Especially good on my Opinel which is more often than not in the same pocket and is a great wee allrounder and one of the best food prep knives for camp.
So I've come 'round to some of these types of sharpener.
Funny you talking about sharpening on the stoep. In a lot of ancient cities you can often find a section of wall where weapons and knives were sharpened leaving deep dishes worn into the stone.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Nice to hear that such people don't stand on ceremony - as you say Mick - "a knife is a tool" and if something puts a workable edge on it job done. I sometimes think that over indulgence re types of stone/angles/wango fandango sharpeners etc might put some of the younger and/or less experienced off or cause them to buy something they just don't need (anyone seen the HH catalogue recently - Wicked Edge Pro Pack II - 700+ quid - whaaat? someone tell me it's a misprint please :confused:). I'll have a look at that Blade Tech Goatboy, I'm always open to checking out other options even if I don't go for them it's all knowledge. Like the BT The Garden Sharpener is easily stow-able on your person or in your kit. BTW - mine isn't that colour anymore - cam'd it up soon after the shots were taken! That's interesting about the walls used for blade sharpening, I'll keep an eye open for them during my travels. :D

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ignore the snobs, mate. I use a charity shop new/unused pull through bargain job on my kitchen knives due to ease and hassel freeness of it. Gets them toothy but sharp enough to cut anything.

'Knives are tools' .. yeah some of them, the others are shiny precious's and we all know it! ;)

The knives that are in my pocket or tool box range from rusted, blunt, dull and finally kinda sharp. The rest are pointlessly overly sharp, just because. Once they get thrown into use I slack off and just get them cutty enough to work. lol

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Nice to hear that such people don't stand on ceremony - as you say Mick - "a knife is a tool" and if something puts a workable edge on it job done.

Great believer in function over form me, in reminded of a time on a shoot when I had to borrow a gun to shoot, a tatty little Baikal. Next to me was a "green wellie" as I call them, tweed suit and Purdy, instantly snubbed the little Russian trooper over my elbow and me for using it. Promptly asked him witch one kills birds deader and proceeded to tan his sorry hide bag wise :D whatever works for you, you use it mate.
There's a sharpening stone in a wall near the river where I live, my dad said all the shipyard workers himself included used to sharpen their knives on it and had a very big hollow from that, during a recent regeneration they put up a steel fence and slipped the stone, if I'd known I would have asked for it to put in my garden! Overlooked history

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Aye Up All,

Not sure which forum this fits into - can't see a pure C&E one?
I don’t know if this has appeared before but if so I think it is worth a revisit.
This is probably going to cause some die hard traditionalist ‘sharpeners’ to rise up in arms and ‘troll’ me but the thing works so here goes:
I’ve been sharpening blades since I was a kid, a time when owning a pen knife was derigueur, almost ‘a right of passage so to speak’. Surrounded by Yorkshire sandstone (literally) me mother’s doorstep was the best slip stone a lad could have wished for (even though I’d had to work through the Cardinal Red and usually end up with a clip round the ear for having done it – now I’ll bet that ages me to some!) and we’d spend hours honing our blades until they could split a hair – well, that’s what we told ourselves!
Over the years and careers, blades have always featured either as tools, weapons or both and so dry-stones, whetstones, pucks, diamond plates, ceramic rods etc have always featured alongside – accompanied by an oily rag! When you are using blades intensely/protractedly (maybe employed to do so) you cannot always stop and spend (a lengthy amount of) time to hone a blade as you might usually wish to (nor do it for several companions either). About a month ago I admit it; I was drawn into one of those video promos on a small digital screen whilst looking around a garden centre for a pair of leather work gloves (for BC activities). (Digression – visits to three subsequent centres turned up no gloves in my size of any description, apparently I’m XXL – no way! – it’s the Far East production issue again!). The video concerned the item shown in the images – The Neat Ideas Garden Sharpener. I was hooked, I bought one, I’ve used it throughout a whole day of making improvised basher pegs from seasoned oak during which time the knife (Mora SS) periodically became dull but was re-vitalised by the sharpener. It can shave the hairs off my arm and slice newspaper with just the weight of the knife and a slight pull back. The bonus is that it has a small oil bottle in the handle and a piece of wadding in the cap – useful for carbon blades. £6. It might not be something that you would use on your Ray Gears-box-set-Gucci-mantle-piece-ornament but for a working tool it does the trick. The only downside to me is that it will leave less history (if correctly disposed of) - that doorstep in Yorkshire is still there and so are the depressions from my sharpening – how’s that for leaving your mark!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

My dad, who was by profession a grinder, so he knew what he was doing, always used to sharpen the kitchen knives on the kitchen doorstep to carve the Sunday Roast.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Aye those pull through sharpeners do the job - my only issue with them is they take a lot of steel off very fast and cannot give me the micro convex final edge I like ... I carry a Blade-tech for use at work but rely on Aldi diamond blocks and Wet and Dry paper at home....
What works for you - works for you :)

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Use something similar for kitchen knives but with my bushcraft knife the sharpening has become sort of a ritual so that one gets the whole treatment

Sep 13, 2015
Bedford
I sharpen my OWN knives and machete with one very similar, or run it over a little sharpening stone in my pocket. I hone the ones I make and sell down to 8000g oilstone but would say a pull through like that gets them workably sharp and more. A knife is a tool, and I don't polish my hammers!

Your comment about hammers is an excellent one !! I guess a finely honed / stropped blade does maintain it's edge longer and is easier to get sharp again ?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Your comment about hammers is an excellent one !! I guess a finely honed / stropped blade does maintain it's edge longer and is easier to get sharp again ?

Just my own opinion of course and realise it's not a common one. It is indeed easier to keep something sharp than to get it sharp. As Mr Fenna accurately put it they do pull a lot of metal off at once and I understand not using them on expensive knives. Sharpening with wet and dry is a point during normal polishing they're like a razor by around the 2500 grit stage

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Funny you say about not polishing hammers I used to know a couple of carpenters who did just that. At least once a day they would polish the hammer face as they said it gave better transfer and feel when hammering a lot. They weren't pulling my leg either as I watched them do it every day for months.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Funny you say about not polishing hammers I used to know a couple of carpenters who did just that. At least once a day they would polish the hammer face as they said it gave better transfer and feel when hammering a lot. They weren't pulling my leg either as I watched them do it every day for months.

Now that's a joiner with too much time on his hands! :lmao:

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I remember my. Grandad giving me a penknife after sharpening on the doorstep, I have a blade Tec jobby but never really got on with it, going to stick it on the gift it on thread at some point, I recently bought an Aldi's double sided diamond block, works well, also use a very fine grit wet and dry gaffer taped to an mdf block, gets my Swiss army to a real nice edge, use it a lot day to day, I don't have a lot of money to chuck at an expensive knife or a sharpening kit so make do with a mora for bushcraft and a Swiss Army knife as my edc, I am having a go at doing my own 01 steel knife and will be doing a lot of research on knife sharpening with basic kit.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr

I work with silver so I do polish my hammers. It saves me having to polish the silver.

Having said that I use anything that will put an edge on my knives and chisels. Occasionally I use a vicious old sharpening steel on my kitchen knives because I use them to cut thick wads of cloth for craft use and the steel produces a micro serrated edge that does the job better than anything else.

My carving knives on the other hand are polished on a buffing wheel.

The right tool for the job, treated as the job requires.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Aye those pull through sharpeners do the job - my only issue with them is they take a lot of steel off very fast and cannot give me the micro convex final edge I like ... I carry a Blade-tech for use at work but rely on Aldi diamond blocks and Wet and Dry paper at home....
What works for you - works for you :)

Yep, carbide steel for Kitchen Devils and the like, DMT Diafold for the posher stuff. Never got on with the Spyderco Sharpmaker, but the Edge Pro type copies can make a very good job of things. They're a faff though.

Hm.. I'm a sharpening purist, but since I use emery and green buffing compound on cardboard, I don't consider myself a snob. I've used door steps of various rock types too, so most large abrasive surfaces will suit me.

The right tool for the job, treated as the job requires.

I'm a sharpening purist because while V secondary grinds are on almost every knife sold, and a pull through sharpener will create such and keep it paper and hair slicing sharp, that edge will not whittle fuzzies fine enough to start a fire in the damp conditions where I live.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice to hear that such people don't stand on ceremony - as you say Mick - "a knife is a tool" and if something puts a workable edge on it job done. I sometimes think that over indulgence re types of stone/angles/wango fandango sharpeners etc might put some of the younger and/or less experienced off or cause them to buy something they just don't need (anyone seen the HH catalogue recently - Wicked Edge Pro Pack II - 700+ quid - whaaat? someone tell me it's a misprint please :confused:). I'll have a look at that Blade Tech Goatboy, I'm always open to checking out other options even if I don't go for them it's all knowledge. Like the BT The Garden Sharpener is easily stow-able on your person or in your kit. BTW - mine isn't that colour anymore - cam'd it up soon after the shots were taken! That's interesting about the walls used for blade sharpening, I'll keep an eye open for them during my travels. :D
I meant to look out some pictures of walls used for sharpening then I remembered that the excellent Lindybeige had made a little video of one at Ephesus which is where my pictures were of anyway.

[video=youtube;WTlyazwLZsU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTlyazwLZsU[/video]

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Nearly everyone I know will use a combination of what gets the job done and take great time and care to sharpen their tools.

I find sharpening a knife at home to be very relaxing, something to spend ages on, feeling the line of the blade and enjoying the process - it's almost like a Japanese tea ceremony. Nothing to do with the end result being superior but it's a thing I like doing.

The edge is superior though. Of course there are diminishing returns, there is only so good an edge can be and I can probably get 85-90% as good with the little Arkansas stone I take with me to the woods. Is it "worth" spending 30 minutes on a knife vs. 3 minutes - not likely. But is it "worth" even going outside in the first place? Both are things I enjoy and there is no purist or snob in me regarding them. Their worth is irrelevant.

As for sharpening on a door step... I did it as a kid with my survival knife with the sewing kit in the handle, it did the job but back then I didn't mind sitting on the garden path and didn't care about much actually.

Very much each to their own.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I took the minimalist approach for wood carving tools, elbow and D adzes included.
3M Wet&Dry automotive finishing sandpapers, used dry, on any surface (flat or round) that fits the sweep of the tool.
800 grit if the edge is banged up.
1500 grit for everything,
CrOx/AlOx honing compound on box or file card.

Using 1/2 sheets or less each time, the operating cost might creep up to $3CDN = 1.50BPS.
Obviously, the sandpapers would work well in the rain!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE