An under-appreciated bit of kit:

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
This is a three-foot length of surgical tubing with a piece of brass tubing stuck in one end. The end of the metal is hammered partially closed to increase the velocity of air when the tube is blown through. I use it to start fires and to "turbo-charge" my woodburning hobo stove without having to get on my hands and knees and put my face in the smoke. Today I got very thirsty while hunting rabbits on snowshoes and used it to drink from a shallow puddle of ice melt-water without having to get wet on my hands and knees. I usually keep it in a pocket along with matches and tinder.

IMG_3386.jpg

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Crackign idea.

I normally use my blow poker for fires but your idea is good for carrying small, also it could be sued in an emergency as a torniquet !!

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I've got a few friends who are Nurses, and one who's a pharmacist at a hospital, now to see if they will be obliging and obtain some tubing for me...

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I keep meening to get a blow poker like this,just for the handiness of it.i have a normal steel and a brass tube but tend not to take them on day trips because they get in the way,i will need to source some good rubber tubing.

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
When I was a kid (in the 1970s) I used to read all the camping books I could find in the library. Most were from the US and virtually all of these listed just such an item as an essential piece of kit (along with your coffee pot and check flannel shirt) for any trip to the backwoods. If I recall it was called an aspirator.

I have used the tube of a Platypus bladder to coax a reluctant Kelly kettle into full flame.

I now carry on piece of aluminium tent pole as a blow poker but I might add some flexible tube to it.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Please expand. We are lacking in the television department, here in the backwoods, so I can only watch Iplayer :/

Thanks

Sam

Let's just say if you want to drink from it you'd do well to give it a bit of a wipe after Mr Grylls is done with it. His use involved vaseline and probably made him feel a little sore.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okaaaay.........did he do what that family that got capsized and ran out of water did with the blood and watery bilge water from the turtle they caught and butchered ? Ingested it the other end.

Ye gods and little fishes, tell me the numpty didn't ? :eek:

cheers,
M

Nov 16, 2009
Mitcham, Surrey
Okaaaay.........did he do what that family that got capsized and ran out of water did with the blood and watery bilge water from the turtle they caught and butchered ? Ingested it the other end.

Ye gods and little fishes, tell me the numpty didn't ? :eek:

cheers,
M

If I told you he didn't, I'd be lying ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:yuck: ...............wait a minute..........did he do that *on camera* ??????? :lmao:
That's for desperate situations only, and even then the shock to the bowel can be really most unpleasant I'm told.

Honestly, is there nothing he won't do for publicity ?

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE