An overnight expedition using only bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
treat it like sex!! what married sex? quick 5 mins before going off to the fridge :)

I agree though, take a cover you would only get an hours walk before you have to start on a shelter and that would probably be a cold draughty one before it gets dark.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You won't starve to death on an overnighter, may not catch anything either, one night is not a lot of time to hike, find a camp spot, set traps/snares, make camp, skin food, cook food etc. Take some food and water and enjoy your night. Definitely take a shelter of some kind as you don't want to waste a lot of time on your first trip building one from scratch, take a basha or cheap poly tarp.

If there are two of you I suggest four emergency tins of Stella each and some tea lights. When you've had the first can each, you can make a candle lantern from the empty ;)

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Sounds like you have more training and gear to head out with than many people here have had.

Indeed! If I'm prepared to sleep out in the woods - alone, I might add, then I can't see it being a problem for two people of your background. What's the worst that can happen? You get wet and spend a miserable night out.

I've no experience at all - 'cept a couple of nights 'tenting' (as the local man I met called it) on Bodmin moor, but as soon as I get my new tarp and hammock I'm out there!

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Just a quick one mate, this is a family forum, I know it was probably said in jest and I know it's taken from father ted, but kids have no idea and I don't think their parents would appreciate it.

My apologies, leon. I'm afraid I don't have the cleanest mouth around, but message received and understood.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just a quick one mate, this is a family forum, I know it was probably said in jest and I know it's taken from father ted, but kids have no idea and I don't think their parents would appreciate it.

Another word we grown ups can't use, its getting a bit silly now

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
when around kids I find and explosive exclamation if 'socks' or 'socking hell' works as it gets the right number of syllables out so makes you feel better and the kids find it funny :)

I understand it but it is a bit PC as it was a father tedism designed to be non offensive while getting the message across. at the time it was used more by my scouts than the original which cant be bad can it?

an old workmate used go into apoplexy when I threatened to use the N word on him (he was black) but the N word in my case was NANCY :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
when around kids I find and explosive exclamation if 'socks' or 'socking hell' works as it gets the right number of syllables out so makes you feel better and the kids find it funny :)

I understand it but it is a bit PC as it was a father tedism designed to be non offensive while getting the message across. at the time it was used more by my scouts than the original which cant be bad can it?

an old workmate used go into apoplexy when I threatened to use the N word on him (he was black) but the N word in my case was NANCY :)

For years my lad used the term "Ice hole" in front of his mom and I. I don't know if Leon's response to the tedism was just a knee jerk or he meant it; I hope he had not thought it through because its OTT to say the least:rolleyes:

What other words can't we use, the 'H' word for chaps who bat for the other team so to speak, or the 'C' word for that thing sometimes packed in a survival tin to carry water but can also be used by mommy and daddy if they are not ready for the patter of tiny feet? Where does it end?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE