An old Scandinavian knife refurb

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
So people moan at me for not producing any of my own work but I keep taking on cutlery work for people. Oddly, I have recently had a string of 'old' blades come into the workshop, each from different people. I have shown the billhook and butcher knife before, the kukri is a way off but I have just finished off this scandinavian knife.

It arrived as shown in the picture below - just the blade with most of the tang rusted away, the end cap crusted up, the ferrule and a sheath.

1043936_391311047645389_1239555587_n.jpg

A new tang was welded on without re-heat treating the blade, using a potato as a heat sink. Little bit of welding, grind it back, little bit of welding, grind it back and so on - quite a job!

P1080675.JPG

P1080680.JPG

Having the sheath already sewn up was another challenge as sizing the handle to be a good fit to the sheath was a backwards way of working for me.

This was a very challenging build for me as it needed to be done in a sympathetic way to the existing parts. If I had a big mistake and ruined a part it would have been quite disastrous as I couldn't just get a new blade/ferrule/buttcap.

It was, however, quite satisfying to give it a new life.

The wood is stabilised Spalted Birch from Pikebite. This wood is amazing with the patterns and colours!
1044473_391310924312068_1077801724_n.jpg

There are more pictures here:
Scandi Refurb pictures

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Beautiful. Intrigued by the potato heat sink. I've probably got a use for that idea. Do Maris Piper or King Edwards work best?

Cheers,
Leif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE