An old programme...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nowhereman

Mar 9, 2011
In The Forest
Hello - does anyone here remember that Lofty Wiseman series where he took a group of people to an island (off scotland somewhere??) - basically i think he gave them a few weeks training then sent them off to the island for a few weeks. It must have been from around 1985-6?

If anyone can remember this I'd like hear from you also to try and get a copy of it, vhs, dvd would be great as I have good memories of being totally enthralled by the gravity of it...

Regards and thanks for reading

V

Apr 9, 2011
Larne
Hi Nowhereman. Yeah it was called Castaway, back in 2000. I remember watching it just for Lofty really. I grew up with his books. Dont know if its available to buy though!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Castaway in 2000 was the social experiment with Ben Fogle etc.

V is talking of a different programme that I can't think of at the mo'.

Tom.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
spamal posted this about Lofty. in 2005
"Survival team was about a bunch of people taken from there everyday lives and taught in the grounds of some rich buggers vast estate how to erect shelters, catch fish and other game, how to prepare their food and how to ensure they had a fresh drinking supply. It also covered other aspects aswell, and after they had got to grips with this, they were flown out to a small island, abandoned there and left to fend for themselves. "

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
It was back in 2000, so it might be knocking around on iplayer. Lofty was only in one of the programmes though if I remember correctly, maybe second or third episode? Barn Owl is right there was another series where he had bits and pieces on back in the eighties - blowed if I can remember what it was called though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think the island was off Pembrokeshire - not Scotland...
Sorry that is all I recall except that the "survivors" got in trouble for killing and eating a Common Seal (not common at all - pretty endangered realy...) and a chopper from RAF Brawdy Search and Rescue landed and checked out their SOS sign despite Lofty informing them it was "practice only" ...and that the "survivors" were a mardy bunch of lazy so and sos who argued a lot!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE