An Introduction to Pressure Canning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
One of the subjects that we get asked about a LOT is pressure canning, particularly canning meat & meals like Chilli con Carne.

The life we lead is so full on that we don't have time to cook from scratch every day, so bulk preparing soups, sauces, Bolognese etc. makes all the difference. Preparing 30 portions of curry sauce at a time means on a cold day, I can prepare a home made curry in less than 20 minutes.

This weeks video is "An introduction to pressure canning", covering why we can, all the equipment and a full run through of the canning process.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've always been terrified of pressure pans after one exploded in the kitchen when I was a tot. .. I can never find the proper jars in the shops either. Our local hardware used to do them but has stopped as they were not a popular buy with customers. I'd love to be able to do this. Where do you get the canning pan or can you use a normal pressure cooker?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can use a variable weight pressure cooker like a Prestige Hi Dome, but they hold far less jars. You can import canners (duty paid) through Ebay, look for the All American brand. ;)

Lids I also import, jars I buy from Dunelm, Ampulla and, honestly, whoever is cheap at the time. It took a few years to build up our jars, but now we just reuse them!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks. I will ...maybe.... have a go next year. I will have to try and find some jars lids and a pressure pan. .. then get the courage up to use it! :) :)

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Time is a big factor with these things for sure, and space for the jars! Self reliance is labour intensive and takes a lot of space

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes jar storage both full and empty is a problem. I have no places left! I miss a proper walk in pantry. They are not a prerequisite in modern houses now. Neither do I have a garage so it's a big problem. My cupboards are full and there realy is no more room for anything else.
I'm trying to source an old wooden or metal cupbourd .. about large wardrobe size to put shelves in and use it as a larder but it will have to go outside somewhere sheltered on the north side of the house. There is no more room for anything in the kitchen! I still have to work out where I'd keep a pressure cooker!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes jar storage both full and empty is a problem. I have no places left! I miss a proper walk in pantry. They are not a prerequisite in modern houses now. Neither do I have a garage so it's a big problem. My cupboards are full and there realy is no more room for anything else.
I'm trying to source an old wooden or metal cupbourd .. about large wardrobe size to put shelves in and use it as a larder but it will have to go outside somewhere sheltered on the north side of the house. There is no more room for anything in the kitchen! I still have to work out where I'd keep a pressure cooker!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well I'm on my way! Today's charity shop haul. Three jars and a pack of lids. The jars have sultanas raisins and nuts labels on them so they haven't been used for canning yet . Now where can I find an old pressure cooker and more jars???? . Hunt hunt hunt! :)

Reactions: British Red

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Would a standard Pressure Cooker work?
Not the same internal volume, but maybe enough for you?

Are you using the space under your bed for storing? If empty ( only inhabited by blood thirsty, long toothed monsters) that space would store lots. You need to make a pull out 'drawer' on wheels. Easier to retrieve stuff.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
There is a lot of camp gear stored under the bed. The rest of the space is taken up by Henry. . The underbed monster that eats the dust! (Btw Have just had to change Henry's tummy bag today.)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
One dozen jars arrived this afternoon. My friend works in the local hardware store and ordered them for me. Had to take a box of a dozen as minimum order and she let me have them at trade price... £30!! Ouch! They are kilner though. I now have 17 jars and 12 spare lids in total with my charity shop buys Now all I need is a canner. I don't Internet shop so this may prove tricky. If santa is listening.... :) :) :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
What do you plan to can?
Garden produce, foraged stuff, such as apples as pie filling... anything I am able to, to free up room in my little freezer.
In other words food. I tried canning lego but it didn't work very well :) :) :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE