An Impromptu Night Out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
On Friday night I finished worked and pick up my son Noah from his Mother’s house and we headed home to pack for a night out camping.

It was a bit of an impromptu night and we quickly threw together all that we would need for a night out. The weather was good but the bugs were out so we opted for 2 issue mozzie nets and a tarp in case the weather changed overnight.

We set out for our location and soon were out our campsite for the night. The tarp was quickly setup and we settled in for an enjoyable night out.

BackGardenBC01.jpg

Noah was excited to have his own area to call his own but was shattered form the long walk in to the camp site. Noah soon got ready for bed and played happily in his home for the evening while I got on with getting some refreshments for us.

BackGardenBC02.jpg

BackGardenBC03.jpg

BackGardenBC04.jpg

I knocked up a basic pot hanger and put some water over the fire to heat up.

BackGardenBC05.jpg

Soon enough we had a warm drink ready and we sat back and watched the world go by and enjoyed some lively chat and laughter around the camp fire.

BackGardenBC06.jpg

BackGardenBC07.jpg

BackGardenBC08.jpg

It soon became dark and Noah settled in to his shelters and we listened to the wildlife while I enjoyed the last of the camp fire. Noah soon slipped into his sleeping bag and feel asleep. I soon followed wrapping up for my first night with just a wool blanket and I was rather surprised how warm I was.

Morning soon came after a good night’s rest and we both woke up refresh, Noah a little more than I as my air bed seems to have a leak.

BackGardenBC09.jpg

Once ready for the day and full with a good breakfast I spent some time teaching Noah some fire lighting skills. Noah was given a Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparkie Fire Starter at a meet we attended in March and after instruction Noah started to practice using this to get some tinder alight.

BackGardenBC11.jpg

BackGardenBC12.jpg

Noah struggled with the coordination and found it hard to squeeze the Sparkie and push down at the same time, but with some practice his was getting some good sparks and soon got his first flames.

Time was up and we had to head home, we packed up and gave the camp site one final check to make sure nothing was left behind and also check we left no trace.

BackGardenBC10.jpg

It was an enjoyable night away from home and proves you don’t always have to go far to spend some good times with loved ones.

[video=youtube;HCHCJRDUOzo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCHCJRDUOzo[/video]

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I think we all know that "I did it!" moment but hearing a youngster voice it always makes me smile :D
Great trip report.

Rob.

Viandante

May 30, 2011
Italy
Hi. Very nice adventure. Well done. I used to have similar adventures with my son (he's now 14) butsince me and my ex wife broke things got harder. I miss it.
Thanks for sharing, you took me nice memories. Keep enjoying.
Cheers from Italy.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Thanks for all the comments guys, we had a blast and a quick overnight was just what we needed. He cant wait to get into the woods again and asked if we could go the very next day :)

I'm looking forward to doing this with my lad he's 5.
Noah is 5. great age to be taking them out, Noah has been coming out with me during the summers since he was about 3, but now he is getting more involved. Only a few years until I hope i can sit back and let him doing the setup lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE