An hour on the beach

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
And I manged to forage this

Fish stew tomorrow,already cooked and shelled some of it ready.
Oysters are some of the biggest I have ever seen,but as such they are not much good for slurping, although they are delicious cooked.:cool:

GS

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
I tried limpets recently cooked on a rock in front of the fire, i nearly gagged,although my mate loved them, i assume they'd taste better in a stew.

TBH they are a bit chewy,but in a stew they will have other added flavours from the other shellfish,and condiments,spices etc.
In short I hope so :)

Now I am really jealous:(

One of the perks of living where I do, with loads of seafood,pigeons pheasant,bunnies,squirrels. Now I am making myself hungry.:D
It does have its down sides too,like the lowest wages in England. Full of half way houses for junkies so when they finish rehab they stay on and go back on smack etc.

GS

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
One of the perks of living where I do, with loads of seafood,pigeons pheasant,bunnies,squirrels. Now I am making myself hungry.:D
It does have its down sides too,like the lowest wages in England. Full of half way houses for junkies so when they finish rehab they stay on and go back on smack etc.

GS

But look at the upside:D

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Yummy
Where in Devon are you GS? Love to check out some of those monster oysters!!!
Shame about the half-way houses. You'd think they would just leave the s**m in London closer to their suppliers;)

Ah a fellow devonian! I'm a North Devonian but work has pulled me to the shoreless county of Wiltshire! I miss the sea and will be back to blow the dust (and last years remnant swallow poo) off my surfboard very shortly!

Are you North or bottomside? I used to work for the National Trust in West Devon and still have a few mates who manage the coastline line there, I'm jealous either way, rich pickings !

Leo

It most certainly is :p

GS

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Yummy
Where in Devon are you GS? Love to check out some of those monster oysters!!!
Shame about the half-way houses. You'd think they would just leave the s**m in London closer to their suppliers;)

I am in East Devon. But the oysters are elsewhere.
But I could get some for you if you want to try them.Let me know if you are ever down this way.

Ah a fellow devonian! I'm a North Devonian but work has pulled me to the shoreless county of Wiltshire! I miss the sea and will be back to blow the dust (and last years remnant swallow poo) off my surfboard very shortly!

Are you North or bottomside? I used to work for the National Trust in West Devon and still have a few mates who manage the coastline line there, I'm jealous either way, rich pickings !

Leo

Bottomside ish;)

p.s I was just looking at 'Wild Food' by Jane Eastoe and she was very cautious about harvesting shellfish, looking at your hoard you have no concerns yourself?

Leo

Why should I ?
They are all fresh and alive,and I have been eating them from the same area for the last 4 years.
Just down the road is a commercial oyster fishery.

GS

I am in East Devon. But the oysters are elsewhere.
But I could get some for you if you want to try them.Let me know if you are ever down this way.

Bottomside ish;)

Why should I ?
They are all fresh and alive,and I have been eating them from the same area for the last 4 years.
Just down the road is a commercial oyster fishery.

GS

She says that harmful bacteria and viral pathogens can be concentrated up to 100 times more in bivalve filter feeding moluscs and that her oyster farming friend wouldn't touch one unless it has been through a puritication tank. It can take an oyster one week to purify and a muscle up to three months.

Having said all of that you are living testimony in contradiction to this fact and believe it or not so am I! We as kids used to pick cockles and muscles from the probably quite sewagey waters of the taw/torridge estuary at Braunton Burrows without any effect.

Leo

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
She says that harmful bacteria and viral pathogens can be concentrated up to 100 times more in bivalve filter feeding moluscs and that her oyster farming friend wouldn't touch one unless it has been through a puritication tank. It can take an oyster one week to purify and a muscle up to three months.

Having said all of that you are living testimony in contradiction to this fact and believe it or not so am I! We as kids used to pick cockles and muscles from the probably quite sewagey waters of the taw/torridge estuary at Braunton Burrows without any effect.

Leo

Strangely enough,when I came back to UK from France 5 years ago I was shocked to see mussels in a purification tank at a commercial sellers.
To my mind its just another stupid rule to avoid litigation.
In France they are taken straight from the posts to the supermarket, and all the French in my area collected them from the coast.
I eat my oysters both raw and cooked and used to collect them in exactly the same way in France.

Its a bit like this obsession with overcooking pork that we have over here you dont see the French dropping dead after every meal.

GS

Strangely enough,when I came back to UK from France 5 years ago I was shocked to see mussels in a purification tank at a commercial sellers.
To my mind its just another stupid rule to avoid litigation.
In France they are taken straight from the posts to the supermarket, and all the French in my area collected them from the coast.
I eat my oysters both raw and cooked and used to collect them in exactly the same way in France.

Its a bit like this obsession with overcooking pork that we have over here you dont see the French dropping dead after every meal.

GS

No, fair comment. I suppose it is just nice to be able to draw on the confidence of others until you find your feet. I'm certainly in the pound of dirt camp! I'm going to get some razor clams later in the year. Nice to hear your views, certainly makes me want to go out and find my dinner!

Thanks

Leo

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I wouldn't recommend making a fish stew out of shell fish.

If you stewed shellfish, they'd end up being a chewy waste of good food.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE