An evening walk in the wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I’ve had a rather hectic weekend with visitors and a ‘fuss’ level that I’m not used to these days so, when everyone had gone, I decided a walk in the wood was the calmative I needed. The trouble was the day was already beginning to fade and, on top of that, it had started to drizzle. Undeterred I put my boots on and headed out; I’m glad I did.

At the top of the hill the view over to the Berwyn was impressive and I felt calmer already. Then I dropped into the canopy of the wood and it was much darker; a twilight sort of darkness but still light enough to see some distance. Although a lot of leaves have fallen there are still enough left on the oaks to make quite a contrast between the light level inside and outside the wood. The surprisingly dry leaves on the floor made it very difficult to walk quietly.

A woodcock flushed from its hide near the track and made me jump. In the fading light the large twisted unearthed root stumps of long-fallen trees take on quite eerie shapes and then the noises slowly start to change. I love that transformation period between day and night where the day noises give way to the sounds of the dark. The blackbirds start to scold the approaching darkness and the crows are calling for the kids to come home for tea. All of a sudden, the noise stops with perhaps the odd bird trying to have the last word. And then, just to seal the moment, the first drawn out call of the tawny owl almost daring the day-fauna to stay up – it’s magic!

Climbing back out of the wood I can still just see well enough to make out the unmistakable gait of a badger as it canters away from me across the field.

Hectic weekend, what hectic weekend?

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Have you read 'Night Walk' by Chris Yates?
I read it a couple of years ago and found it quite inspiring and was determined that I wold do the same.
Still haven't of course.

But what I was thinking of doing, now that the nights are getting early, is something like you've done - start out late afternoon as the sun starts to set and take a walk into that half-world.
It's a great idea.

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
It's that magical time when colours change to shades of grey and the night creatures begin to become active with rustling and hoots. The noise a person makes is unwelcome. Time to sit and be quiet and reflect on the day.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Very evocative!

Strangely our tawnys seem to be working overtime - they take a break in the morning but start calling not long after noon. Might explain the shortage of voles this year!

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
The BTO are running a citizen science survey asking people to record calling tawny owls at the moment if you're interested.

Reactions: Nomad64

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE