An enjoyable evening under the stars.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Don't mind at all.

It's a full frame shot from a 14mm lens, f/2.8 20 seconds at iso.6400.

It was tripod mounted so I couldn't go beyond 35 seconds without too much trailing of the stars, but being so early in the evening 20 seconds was as far as I could go without blowing out the horizon.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Don't mind at all.

It's a full frame shot from a 14mm lens, f/2.8 20 seconds at iso.6400.

It was tripod mounted so I couldn't go beyond 35 seconds without too much trailing of the stars, but being so early in the evening 20 seconds was as far as I could go without blowing out the horizon.

Thanks Gary...I've been experimenting with my new camera but with no formal photography training I'm kind of stabbing in the dark!!

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Awesome pic mate as expected though going by the usual standard of your work. I'm gutted you're not going to the Wooplaw meet, would have been great to see how you work.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Well hopefully I can show it in my photo's then :) I take it the best way for dark skies is large aperture and high ISO with shutter speed of around 30 secs?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It depends on your camera and lens combination.

There's a useful old rule of thumb:

500 divided by the 35mm equivalent focal length of the lens gives you the maximum exposure time in seconds.

So for my full frame camera with a 14mm - 500/14=35 or thereabouts so 30 seconds would be about the longest I could go without too much trailing.

A cropped frame camera would be about 20 seconds max with a 14mm because of the 1.6x crop factor. A longer lens would be less still.

I've just bought an equatorial mount to get some longer exposures with so watch this space in the future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE