An Archaeology Assignment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Something from our very smart tutor (who is the cleverest man at our college)

I am stumped.

He wants an archaeological site from the Mesolithic with lots of evidence of foraging.

Got that??

It would be easy enough if it was hunting, but he wants us to cover the gathering side.

Any suggestions?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Would shell midden sites such as the one at Namu in BC suit your purposes? I vaguely remember Uncle Ray and Prof Gordon Hillman chatting about them in one of the Wild Food episodes... I may be conflating Uncle Ray programs though.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
There was charred hazelnut remains found at mount sandel here in Northern Ireland, along with remains of a Mesolithic house, which is very interesting.
Hope this helps,

Paddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks a lot.

I guess Mesolithic man ate a lot of Nutella, eh?

sorry for not getting back to you earlier, been busy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's hard proving plant use in the Mesolithic in the UK. It's the temperate climate again; everything organic rots.
You really need to find wet anaerobic conditions for preservation (or shell middens). Varves can give evidences of the upswings, etc., of what might be human deforestation, and the clear indications of which pollen bearing plants were around, but while that's potential, it's not proof of use.
Reedmace doesn't leave shell evidences like hazelnuts, acorn shells break down very quickly, waterchestnuts do leave a tiny wee hard end, pignuts don't leave anything, lesser celandines don't leave anything, fruits sometimes leave stones (like the cloudberries and the wild cherries found in context in crannog excavations) and mesolithic doesn't have pottery that gives impressions of stuff like grains and seeds.

What's your lecturer's specific interest might be a good starting point :)

M

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE