An amazing day in North Yorkshire - West Highland Way next!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheCitySlicker

Feb 27, 2007
After careful consideration and helpful information from a number of you, The City Slicker opted to hike the Yorkshire Three Peaks last week. Arriving in Horton in Ribblesdale after only a few hours sleep we slogged up and down the three peaks - Penyghent, Whernside and Ingleborough - in nine hours, which I was informed was not too bad for an 'office worker'. :lmao:

The scenery was incredible and the weather very kind to us. :burnout:

My next venture is to tackle the West Highland Way in about four weeks time, but unfortunately can only take three days to do it, which may be a bit of a push! :confused:

Has anyone done it before and got some thoughts and suggestions on camping along the way? What is the terrain and the altitude gains/losses like? What wildlife, scenery should we keep an eye out for in particular?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

The City Slicker

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
9 hours is excellent, well done.

I have done the three peaks a few times, my quickest ever was 6 1/2 hours with friends from the martial arts club going ultralight......

......when i was 10 years younger........

......and 4 stone lighter.......

......and in training for the London marathon......

.....and had both my own knees :D :lmao:

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Sounds like you had a great trip. I haven't done the 3 peaks for a while, I must be due another trip to Horton. :)

West Highland Way is 95 miles in my book so that will be 3 big days if you can start from Milngavie early.
I recall that there is a lot of walking on hard tracks, marked as 'General Wades Military Road' on the OS map. Easy map reading so you can keep up a good pace but it can be a bit hard on the feet. Not many big up/down bits, the section from Glencoe to Kinlockleven over the Devils Staircase is one I remember.

I take it you will be traveling very light if you plan to do the walk in 3 days. What is your average speed with backpacking kit? I tend to average 2 mph when backpacking but have never gone more than 28 miles in a day (last 8 miles actually took 2 hours but we made 'last orders' :) ).

Have a good trip.
Stu

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
i done the west highland way a few years ago(but over 5 days).

i never camped as i was with my mates parents who didnt want to.
devils staircase is probably the worst part. near balmaha theres a hill( ben lomond i think) and a few small hills not too bad.

scenery is amazing most of the time, on my last day walking throught the valley towards fort william the sun was out and you could see nevis as you walked up.

excellent trip i plan on doing it again next year and do nevis while im there.

good luck with it.

ps. someone managed it in 16hours so 3 days is plenty :lmao:

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
i just finished the West Highland Way two weeks ago. I did it over 8 days and used accommodation along the route (we had to sample as many single malts to get the full experience Scotland had to offer) so i can't advise about camping much. The only thing I can tell you is that certain areas do not allow camping whatsoever, but they are few and far between. For a three day route it would probably be Milngavie to Balmaha; 31 miles, Balmaha to Bridge of Orchy; 31 miles and Bridge of Orchy to Fort William; 33 miles.
Three days sound like a bit heavy going for me and you'll do well if you do it in that time, unless you're fell running, you'll be walking about 15 hours a day! You have absolutely no chance of seeing the scenery if you're doing over 30 miles a day. You're eyes will mostly be on the trail as there are quite a few sections where the footing is not good. The first climb you'll have is Conic Hill (or Comical Hill as we called it). The Rowardennan to Inverarnan is your first test, the trail becomes quite rough and it's heavy going if your boots don't fit well!(guess what happened to me?), coming near Crianlarich there is a small climb through a forest. Bridge of Orchy has a wee climb at the start of the day and further on you'll have the Devils Staircase just outside Kingshouse (a favourite midge mugging point!), then a long descent into Kinlochleven with a climb just after it. Once you're on the last stretch it should be no problem but there is a long descent into Fort William through Glen Nevis which I found to be quite punishing on the knees.
Underfoot, the Rowardennan to Inverarnan is a bit of a scramble and progress is somewhat slower than normal so you'll have to take that into account. The next bad stretch was the military road before Kingshouse. Sounds straightforward but the road has many stones set in it with the pointy bits up the way. Leads to very hot soles by the time that saction is over! The last bad bit underfoot is just after the Devil's Staircase wher you will almost be scree running, there is a lot of loose rock underfoot.
When we did it the other week it never rained once and the midges weren't out but this is the exception rather than the rule. Expect changeable weather and if you are later in the year, midges.
Hope this helps.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I did the WHW in a fraction over 2 days, so it's easily doable in 3. It's a fantastic route, I'd recommend it to everyone. There are a few hideous climbs, but for the most part it is easy walking (hence why its possible to walk 50 miles in one day without it resulting in a severe case of death). I hope the weather holds out for you, it's a much more leisurely route when it's not mingin!

Jake

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
You did ask about wildlife and so far noone has referred to it. I live locally and have not done the whole walk as such {you never appreciate what is on your doorstep] Have done parts of it over the years, and one thing you should keep an eye out for if you travel quietly is wild mountain goats on the part north of Rowardennan on the side of Loch Lomond. You often smell them before you see them. I have come across them on several occasions. There are a fair amount of Buzzards in the area and there is just a slight chance that you may see a Red Kite, they were introduced up here a couple of years ago at Dunblane and while you see about fifteen here at feeding time they do range quite far I believe. There are also Ospreys in the area but these are not publicised for protection purposes. As you get further North there is also a chance of seeing an eagle about the Devils Staircase. I don't want to build up your hopes too much as a lot of it is pure luck and chance. I lost my specs on the Devils Staircase several years back. I had taken them off to use my binoculars to get a close-up of an eagle just overhead an walked off without them.
Hope you have some luck with both the weather and your nature viewing.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
That's why I do the munros, to see scotland, to get the views you only get being there, to take break and have a cuppa looking down a reiver glen, spenfding an hr looking around wallace's cave, looking around Rob Roys cave etc etc.

Nick :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE