Amsteel and Woopie Slings etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Found my darning needle wasnt very good with the amsteel. It did work well with some dynemma I use before.
Had a look around my house for something to use and struck upon the idea of using a single core from a cat5 cable.
Took about 1 meter of cat5 and opened it up and got rid of the out sheath. The unbundled the 4 twisted pairs, then unbundled on the twisted pairs.
Then took the single core and folded it in half. I put a piece of electrical tape around the folded end about 1 cm from the top of it. This has worked surprisingly well.

If anyone wants any network cable let me know, we bin the stuff everyday at work

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
When you say small how small are you talking? I remember reading on the whoopiesling thread on hammockforums there's a minimum length of bury in a ws to ensure it doesn't slip. It may have been 6" or 8" I can't remember. How long are yours?

Shewie, how much was the spool? Got any spare? I'm thinking of
making a bridge hammock now grizz has made that video series on how to make the grizzbridge. I'm thinking single layer ripstop, no end caps, with the webbing sides replaced with dynaglide up to soft shackles and onto the triangles also in dynaglide. I'll still keep my trusty faded red (pink...) amsteel whoopies tho :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
When you say small how small are you talking? I remember reading on the whoopiesling thread on hammockforums there's a minimum length of bury in a ws to ensure it doesn't slip. It may have been 6" or 8" I can't remember

Mark 6 inches on the braid and then bury the adjustable side, it will come out at about 5" after splicing.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
so i've got 4 whoopies and i'm going to do a couple of soft shackles. what else can i use the rest for people? any other bushcrafty applications?

There's always this ... :)

[video=youtube;FcifJkhXpMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcifJkhXpMM[/video]

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Dang that's a lot cheaper than I've seen elsewhere!

You guys can also make 'triangle thingies' as they're known, out of amsteel. They're used to help keep the corners of your uq up, you attach each side to a point, with the triangle over the end of the hammock (over your ridgeline) and the third point connects to your suspension. It's an interesting splice with amsteel.

You could make UCRs as well, as am alternative to a whoopie sling. I've wanted to pick up some thicker gauge amsteel to make a belt (lol) and a guitar strap. A light acoustic is comfortable with the thinner cord, and an adjustable amsteel strap has that geeky cool factor !

Mountainm, how long is your srl? The short whoopies must add another 2 foot or so, no? I remember when I changedfrom a dd with webbing suspension to a diy (1/2m longer) with continuous loops and whoopies I had problems at first with some regular hang spots as the trees were now too close for the longer oal of my hammock.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Mountainm, how long is your srl? The short whoopies must add another 2 foot or so, no? I remember when I changedfrom a dd with webbing suspension to a diy (1/2m longer) with continuous loops and whoopies I had problems at first with some regular hang spots as the trees were now too close for the longer oal of my hammock.

The small whoopies add about a foot and 2/3rds to the length of my hammock. My SRL at max is the same length as this (hammock+ whoopies), then goes down to less than half - my SRL is also a whoopie don't forget as I've yet to settle on my perfect hang. My issue has always been ending up with trees that are too far apart. Never had a problem with them being too close together - but if they are I have the option of ditching the SRL and attaching direct to the small whoopies. This gives me options.

Don't get me wrong this is an experiment. That's why I bought more amsteel than I really needed - so I could experiment. I thought that's what other peeps were doing, but perhaps not? At the end of the day if it doesn't work then I'd have probably made the same configurations of whoopies anyway.

I'm hoping it's a very quick set up, with easy config. All the bits are made now so I just need to sneak out at some point and try it out.

Last edited:

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
Well very kindly, Resnikov dropped off my amsteel from the group buy, in the form of 2 fantastic woopie slings and other bits for the hammock..... he is far more patient than me, and the finish is fantastic! Pics will follow!

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
Can I have some help folks please! I am in the process of making two whoopie slings , so far I have to fixed eyes I now seem to be struggling with the whoopie bit. Question - when I am doing it there seems to be a core in the middle like a copper colour , I thought it was hollow as this sometimes seems to pull out when threading, does this matter as this internal threads are the problem as they gather and prevent the bury being pulled through. I have changed from using a darning needle to a piece of thin wire this should make it easier.

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
Thanks for that as it just gets in the way, with this in mind I don't think I will have any problems. I will try again ! Thanks

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
The tip I will offer is use single folded wire such as 1.5 earth strand folded in half, (already used by some) feed that through your amsteel in the direction you need to pull your trailing end.
Then wrap sellotape around the last 2" or 3" of amsteel very tight in a spiral so it continues off the end and twist it tight for about an inch maybe 2. Then pass this through your wire so it makes the amsteel sit tight to the end of the wire fold/ loop, now fold the twisted sellotape back onto the amsteel.
Pull / feed it through, it makes the end your pulling through far more stream lined and the sellotape is smoothe so passes quite easy.

Hope that makes sence, if not guess I will be taking pic's to explain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE