Amsteel and Woopie Slings etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
So following the Group buy purchase of the Amsteel, Mine was delivered yesterday, and Resnikov an I had an experimental making session!

Quite surprised how tricky the actual process is! The Amsteel sure is touch stuff, although the colour seems to come off easily... not sure who dyed the fibre!!

Have we any tips to share? My thinking is that the more 'undone' the steel becomes then it should rethread easily enough...

What do people use to thread the steel back in itself?

Thanks in advance!!

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey,

Ive found the easiest way to splice is using an old guitar string.

The best way to finish a loose end of amsteel (such as the end of the adjustable tail on a whoopee sling) is to pull the end in on itself by tapering the last 1/2" (remove four strands), put your splicing wire in 1" from the end, out the end, over the tapered section and back in through the end. Remove the wire then milk the amsteel flat.

If you check the suspension section of hammockforums there's all the info you need to know.

Whoopie slings, soft shackes, and continuous loops are all interesting projects.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I use the earth wire from 1.5mm twin and earth mains cable. Fold a 40cm section in half and wedge the Amsteel in the fold - effectively creating a 20cm copper 'needle'. Thread the copper through the centre of Amsteel and pull /gently/. The tapered end Highbinder mentions makes the whole process much easier

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
IMG_20110507_213623.jpg

IMG_20110507_213525.jpg

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Why the range in whoopie sizes? Practical reason or just for fun? I use medium length whoopie slings and also pack an amsteel extension, which was just an offcut I spliced a loop into on either end.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Why the range in whoopie sizes? Practical reason or just for fun? I use medium length whoopie slings and also pack an amsteel extension, which was just an offcut I spliced a loop into on either end.

OK you asked so here goes.

I have webbing tree huggers, my intention is thus.

One large whoopie sling to act as a structural ridgline. This will allow me to adjust the sag by altering the length of the ridgline to suit
Two small whoopies to hang either end of my DD travel to the soft shackles at either end of the SRL whoopie. Thus enabling me to further finetune the hang, giving me some headroom form the ridgeline, and also alter head and foot height.
Two medium whoopies to take either end of the SRL on the soft shackles to my mallions on the tree huggers (if I have enough amsteel these may also become soft shackles). This will allow me to alter the distance from my hammock to the trees - taking into account any changes in the main SRL whoopie and compensating for that.

Clear as mud?

Last edited:

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
does anyone know the fid length on 7/64????

tonight is whoopie night :)

A quick google revealed
"A "fid length" is "21 diameters" of the rope you are working on.

eg. a fid made to work 1/2" rope by convention should be 10.5 inches
(21 X 0.5) long.
eg. a fid made to work 10mm rope by convention should be 210 mm (21 X
10) long

so a fid length is not the size of the fid you are working with (in
case you're working with a too short or too long a fid; but, 21 X the
DIAMETER of the rope. "

Hope that helps.

The Samson ropes website has a pdf for the instructions for a whoopie sling
Here

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE