Amsteel and Woopie Slings etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Found my darning needle wasnt very good with the amsteel. It did work well with some dynemma I use before.
Had a look around my house for something to use and struck upon the idea of using a single core from a cat5 cable.
Took about 1 meter of cat5 and opened it up and got rid of the out sheath. The unbundled the 4 twisted pairs, then unbundled on the twisted pairs.
Then took the single core and folded it in half. I put a piece of electrical tape around the folded end about 1 cm from the top of it. This has worked surprisingly well.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
Found my darning needle wasnt very good with the amsteel. It did work well with some dynemma I use before.
Had a look around my house for something to use and struck upon the idea of using a single core from a cat5 cable.
Took about 1 meter of cat5 and opened it up and got rid of the out sheath. The unbundled the 4 twisted pairs, then unbundled on the twisted pairs.
Then took the single core and folded it in half. I put a piece of electrical tape around the folded end about 1 cm from the top of it. This has worked surprisingly well.

Look forward to seeing the results!! You are a very patient person!!

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
so i've got 4 whoopies and i'm going to do a couple of soft shackles. what else can i use the rest for people? any other bushcrafty applications?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
hanging%2Bsystem.png

OK I've got 2 more whoopies to make and 2 more soft shackles (hopfully get them sorted tonight). This diagram illustrates what I'm trying to do.
Blue - Short whoopies
Red - Long whoopie SRL
Green - Medium whoopies to tree huggers
Blobs - Soft shackles

With the blue whoopies I can adjust ground clearance, head height and foot height (compensating with the red whoopie)
With the green whoopies I can choose where between the trees I want to be situated (avoiding a puddle, clump of thistles etc. Theoretically I don't need to be in the centre with a SRL)
With the red whoopie I can adjust the hang of the hammock (using the green & blue whoopies to compensate)

Last edited:

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Bear in mind that to loosen a whoopie sling you need to have some slack so you can push the bury point if that makes sense. I'm not sure that you could undo the structural ridge line once tight??

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Looks Good Mike, been busy hey?:)

Certainly have.

I'm not sure that you could undo the structural ridge line once tight??
I see what you mean - once tight I may have trouble getting the damn thing down again - perhaps I need to work some sort of slacking system into the tree huggers. Bugger. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
OK you asked so here goes.

I have webbing tree huggers, my intention is thus.

One large whoopie sling to act as a structural ridgline. This will allow me to adjust the sag by altering the length of the ridgline to suit
Two small whoopies to hang either end of my DD travel to the soft shackles at either end of the SRL whoopie. Thus enabling me to further finetune the hang, giving me some headroom form the ridgeline, and also alter head and foot height.
Two medium whoopies to take either end of the SRL on the soft shackles to my mallions on the tree huggers (if I have enough amsteel these may also become soft shackles). This will allow me to alter the distance from my hammock to the trees - taking into account any changes in the main SRL whoopie and compensating for that.

Clear as mud?

No I get you. Not sure the short adjustable lengths attached to the ends of the hammocks but before the ridgeline are needed. Surely with the minimum bury length required for the whoopieslings must make the minimum tree distance larger, and mean you have to place your straps higher to achieve the same angles a shorter oal hammock.

If they're there just to adjust hammock height you can achieve the same by raising the straps on the trees once youve got the angles you want.
Post a pic when you next set it up! Let me see the merits of 'double adjustivity'

You can also make a continuous loop lanyard if you're that way inclined.

Maybe we should try and organise a group buy of dynaglide. Amsteel is overkill for structural ridgelines, and the thinner cord is awesome for soft shackles for your tarp.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
No I get you. Not sure the short adjustable lengths attached to the ends of the hammocks but before the ridgeline are needed. Surely with the minimum bury length required for the whoopieslings must make the minimum tree distance larger, and mean you have to place your straps higher to achieve the same angles a shorter oal hammock.

If they're there just to adjust hammock height you can achieve the same by raising the straps on the trees once youve got the angles you want.
Post a pic when you next set it up! Let me see the merits of 'double adjustivity'

You can also make a continuous loop lanyard if you're that way inclined.

Maybe we should try and organise a group buy of dynaglide. Amsteel is overkill for structural ridgelines, and the thinner cord is awesome for soft shackles for your tarp.

I find raising the straps quite a time consuming and fiddly process once all is in place. But the blue whoopies are also their to give a bit of headroom between hammock and SRL - so you can put the mosinet up etc.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm with HB on the small whoopies, I think you've found a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist. I think there's temptation to tweak a bit too much when you've got 200ft of Amsteel to use up, I know I have :)

I picked up a spool of Arborist throw line on ebay which is nice stuff, I like it so much I ended up using it for guys as well on my Ogee :)

I need to dig out my BB tonight and see how Brandon does his ridgeline, I'm pretty sure is fairly simple, fixed at one length to give the most comfortable hang possible. You know if it's too slack or too tight and can adjust as necessary.

If you aim to get that magic 30deg angle for a start, with a fixed ridgeline you can then shorten or lengthen the whoopies to take up any slack or give some release. If the trees are wider than about five paces I know I have to reach higher up with the straps, if it's a tight squeeze between the trees then I know it's going to be low and quite taught.

Last edited:

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I appreciate what your trying to achieve, but looks too complicated to me, (just my opinion) but then I'm a self confessed noob, I just use (as shug's utube videos demonstrate) tree huggers, marlin spike hitch with doweling toggle, whoopie's its got all the adjustment I need, no risk of not being able to undo.
I used the ring's method on another build and did get caught out not being able to get slack to release them. lesson learn'd.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm with HB on the small whoopies, I think you've found a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist. I think there's temptation to tweak a bit too much when you've got 200ft of Amsteel to use up, I know I have :)

only one way to find out.... for the sake of making two small whoopies I thought it was worth the experiment.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE