Amphibians ?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've just been out walking the dog and seen two frogs/toads. There wasn't a lot in the cities I previously lived in and haven't seen a lot before even though I've lived here for nearly eight years. Is that the norm or is it the unseasonal warm weather?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Funny that, I noticed the same at the weekend , walking the dog and foraging berries with the kids ...
They found at least 5 small frogs in less than an hour...

That never happened before.
Maybe the wet summer helped ...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Seen some toads this year, thought it was mice in the leaf litter, but little brown toads. Tonight, for some reason, our outdoor porch is crawling with woodlice, loads of them. Like Glasto for woodies it is.

A very hot and humid day is forecast for tomorrow, maybe that has something to do with it?

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
The nights are pulling in so animals, insects etc. are all starting to take advantage of the longer often damper/cooler nights to 'fatten up'.....interestingly I believe Frogs Spawn has now been found freshly laid in every month of the year in the UK so apparently though they may not always be obvious they are still there and active.

D.B.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I put a mop bucket in the garden about a year or so ago... I forget exactly when. It rained, filled with water over time and now there are frogs living in it. Well, I say living in it... when I go outside for a smoke, I've seen frogs in it a number of times... so I presume they're either living in it, or they're using it as a leisure pool.

Unfortunately since the hedgehog incident of 2009 my wife and I have had the agreement that if wildlife inhabits something in the garden, that something must remain... although I pointed out the hypocrisy when we discovered rats beneath the shed. I was instructed to dispatch the rats by whatever means.

I am amazed, considering that I live in quite a densely populated village just how much wildlife we have in our garden... in the past few years I've seen bats, squirrels, hedgehogs, mice, rats, a variety of birds, something that was identified on here as a newt and frogs... and thats before we get onto insects and arachnids. The strangest wild thing that has visited our garden is an animal that growled, snarled and rustled its way through the side bushes... I presume it was a fox or maybe a badger, but it scared the beejeebers out of me at the time.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Chupacabra most likely. :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra

It was probably a badger, I've been completely freaked out by them a few times, they're really noisy. Not quite the awful fear I got when the foxes were mating and screaming and I was in the top field getting firewood. I confess to dropping the wood and scarpering.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Chupacabra most likely. :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra

It was probably a badger, I've been completely freaked out by them a few times, they're really noisy. Not quite the awful fear I got when the foxes were mating and screaming and I was in the top field getting firewood. I confess to dropping the wood and scarpering.

You're not kidding... I once went to the Lakes, camping in a one man single skin tent on a scar... woke just before dawn to a growling squeal next to my face and I'm convinced there was a badger on the other side of that tent wall. Or it could have been a Chupacabra now I know about them!

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
They're clearing the ground around my estate for more housing. There's an ecologist keeping an eye on the contractors and rehoming anything that can't run away fast enough but I'm still finding dispaced toads every night when I walk the dog around the roads. They're all safe in my garden now helping out with my slug problem.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
They're clearing the ground around my estate for more housing. There's an ecologist keeping an eye on the contractors and rehoming anything that can't run away fast enough but I'm still finding dispaced toads every night when I walk the dog around the roads. They're all safe in my garden now helping out with my slug problem.
Good on you for the symbiotic approach to help both your garden and the toads...

Smart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE