Ammonium Carbonate / Hartshorn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks to Anders I now have a pile of 50 gm bags of hartsorn/ ammonium carbonate/ hjorthorns-salt and since there is far more than I need there's 7 bags spare to go to folk who want to try it in the UK.

These are freebies although if you insist on covering the postage I won't say no!

tombear01@googlemail.___com

remove underbars

ATB

Tom

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi Tombear,

Just a thought, but I would remove your e-mail address and ask members to PM you, otherwise the spammers will get you!

Second, and I am showing my ignorance now, what is it used for?

Simon

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Ammonium carbonate (also known as 'sal volatile') was used in smelling salts by delicate Victorian ladies when they felt faint.

Perhaps some of our more sensitive bushcrafting souls feel a need for a bottle of smelling salts in the field when they feel an attack of the vapours coming on!
;^)

Jim

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
Swooning victorian damsels.
Weight lifters that need a quick adrenaline rush.
Knocked down boxers that need to wake up real fast.
Small bisquits and cakes that you want to be *really* crisp and fluffy.

You can put hartshorn in use for many interesting things...

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It was mainly with regards to baking I was thinking of but the smelling salts bit will come in handy if corsets ever come back into fashion...

Please see the thread on baking powder (I'd do a link if I knew how) also in Lovely Grub.

Gotta go, off to a castle then a beach in North Wales and maybe get in a bit of surreptitious bush craft if the kids will let me...

ATB

Tom

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
also makes a contact explosive when mixed with another ingredient was published in old Boys books as a Wheese to paint wet on to Toilet seats or intertesting fly paper when dryed etc allegedly would Smart a lot and leave a purple stain on what ever set it off

I think you're referring to nitrogen tri-iodide. Don't even _think_ about nitrogen tri-chloride - a hard look will set it off. The discoverer paid for the discovery with an eye and a couple of fingers!

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE