AMK Heatsheat; an improvised shelter. (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I recently bought a few AMK Heatsheets emergency blankets ( with certified space technology ) for emergency kits in the cars and for our backpacks. In taking one out of the pack to check it out I noticed it has suggestions for uses as shelter. One of the suggestions is for a lean-to set up. While it does show the configuration it does not show how to attach the securing lines so I thought I’d do a thread and show one method for doing this. This method also works well for large sheets of visquine (actually visquine is stronger but also heavier and less compact), and you can do something like this with the heavy duty trash bags like the commercial ones as well. Before the critiques begin this is not an example of great location, it was spur of the moment on how to attach the lines because some people might think they’d need to cut holes in it…, and with me thinking that would be a bad idea….,I thought I'd be nice. Also...., as bad as the mosquitoes were out there this afternoon I may very well have contracted some pathogen in the process so cut me some slack.

I start with a large AMK Heatsheet, 96"/244cm x 60"/152cm, for 1 or 2, a roll of braided cord, and a sheath knife.
PICT0730.jpg

First I make four stakes by cutting a small limb and then laying them on a stump for sharpening.
PICT0734.jpg

and for cutting the other ends flat.
PICT0735.jpg

If you have a machete or large chopper this can be done in two quick cuts per stake
PICT0737.jpg

Then I pre-tie some loops in four pieces of string, with the first two being only about a foot long or so, you may want to wait on the second two to avoid waste.
PICT0741.jpg

Then I tie some cord between two trees and drape the e blanket across with roughly ¾ on one side and pull the long side till it touches the ground and this is where I drive my stakes at an angle leaning away from the shelter and just a bit wider than the material to help keep it taught. The stakes can be driven with the pommel of a knife if it's all you have available.
PICT0739.jpg

Or they can be driven with a large rock if one is handy.
PICT0740.jpg

Then I take some debris, also known as duff, and place it on the corner and wrap the material around it making a ball
PICT0744.jpg

PICT0745.jpg

Then I take the loop and wrap it around the ball.
PICT0746.jpg

Then pull the working end of the cord through the loop and tighten it.
PICT0747.jpg

PICT0748.jpg

Then tie it to the stake
PICT0749.jpg

Repeat this step on all four corners doing the back ones that touch the ground first, then using the front ones to tighten it all up and the finished product should look something like this.
PICT0754.jpg

PICT0752.jpg

I've added these after snagging my oldest, and her cat apparently, to give some perspective to the size.
PICT0772.jpg

PICT0774.jpg

Along with shelter suggestions, it also comes with wilderness tips on things like water and emergencies printed on the orange side in both English and in ummm French I believe.
PICT0763.jpg

PICT0761.jpg

With the versatility of a blanket, light shelter, windbreak, or sunscreen as the silver side can be turned up to reflect away heat, and that it takes up little room and weighs next to nothing for $5.00 I think it’s not a bad investment ….., now to see how long it holds up, as I left it set up. I’ll check out the warmth factor next fall.

EDIT: I hope you keep reading, I was pretty impressed 5 weeks later.

One of the good things about these e blankets (which may well be the best on the market) are that they are very light weight, take up very little room, come in a hard but light protective case, are multifunctional, and have some good tips on them you may need in a time when you are panicing. They tuck away in a small bag quite nicely.
PICT0070.jpg

However..., being a really strong and durable material is not one of their charactersistics. They are good to have along as a contengency for light rain, dew, staying warmer or a break from light to barely moderate but cold winds, and a good sunscreen. I wouldn't suggest choosing one with the intentions of it being a shelter in expected inclimate weather. Something like a small tarp or even a good poncho like in the upper right of this photo is much stronger, will serve you far better, and they can be used the same way except they come with gromets to be used as tie-downs.
PICT0068.jpg

I'll try to do a post on a poncho shelter later if there isn't one here already.

Ten days and a few storms and hard rains later..., with absolutely no maintenance, I think it's still holding up very well.

I took these Saturday after two good rains during the week. Still holding shape.
PICT0076.jpg

No rips or tears in the tie downs.
PICT0078.jpg

PICT0088.jpg

No punctures from falling debris so far.
PICT0079.jpg

PICT0080.jpg

This one was taken just after midnight tonight after off-and-on rains, then a hard rain that lasted an hour or so and then slowed down for another couple of hours and you can see where the ground in the center underneath is much drier than the area around it.
PICT0097.jpg

13 days into it I start the rip tests on the heatsheat this afternoon. I made a two inch cut in one edge where it is under tension from the tie-down and noting the proximity of the cut to the writing and pictures I will monitor how much further it tears, and how quickly.
PICT0103.jpg

PICT0102.jpg

We had some storms and I was pleasantly surprised

These are from yesterday morning
Todaybeforestorm-1.jpg

as you can see there is still no change at this point
Todaybeforestorm-2.jpg

Then after I got to work we had severe storms with very high winds and hard rains that cause flash flooding in some areas, knocked out power for a couple of hours and this is how I found it when I got in last night.
Todayafterstormandhardrains.jpg

maybestretchedalittle.jpg

loosenedalittlebyhiwinds.jpg

As you can see, it rained hard enough to stretch it out of shape a little, but no tears in the tie-downs, there is still a dry area underneath, there are no holes from any falling debris, and the rip is still unchanged. Now I'm impressed.
afterstorm.jpg

Today marks 26 days of environmental testing of the heatsheet as an improvised shelter. In the last three weeks it has been through several storms, several hard rains, and high winds a few times.

After winds heavy enought to break down these tree limbs, better pictures later after daylight.
PICT0081.jpg

PICT0083.jpg

PICT0086-1.jpg

It is still holding up pretty well with just minor damage, I think it was struck by a small limb here.
PICT0175.jpg

and here
PICT0178.jpg

Torn a little here at the ridge line.
PICT0190.jpg

But still for the most part shedding and repelling water and wind. Not bad for the investment.
PICT0183.jpg

Here is a picture of the downed limbs in day light.
PICT0091.jpg

Today this part of the environmental testing came to an end. Today, 37 days after rigging up the Heatsheet as an improvised shelter I took it down. In the last 37 days there were several rains, quite a few thunderstorms some of which came with high winds that blew the trees around quite a bit, blew several tree limbs down and caused flash flooding in the local area. Through all of this it held up really well.

Here it is before I took it down
PICT0106.jpg

There is a small rip at the edge near the ridge line.
damageatridgeline.jpg

The rip grew none at all.
PICT0108.jpg

There were no rips at all at any of the tie down points even after all of the winds
PICT0112.jpg

No holes at all from the duff, just a little discoloration
PICT0113.jpg

PICT0115.jpg

PICT0123.jpg

No major holes in the sheet at all. After all that time it is still perfectly serviceable. I think it's worth the six bucks.
PICT0117.jpg

PICT0120.jpg

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
That's a great first post Mistwalker, and a very impresive test.

Welcome to the forum.

Brilliant little camp, those coffee pots are great i got one in cabelas this year, could be a little duck tape oppertunity to mend it, duck tapes great :D

Thank you, lol, that particular camp is actually just the fire pit area on the back side of my land, I use it for testing and training purposes as well as just relaxing by the fire and roasting hot dogs and marshmallows with the kids. Duct tape is wonderful, I would use it to mend it if I were going to actualy use this one, but I bought several and used this one for tests and training purposes in my workshops so I leave the holes visible so as to show how well the heatsheat holds up under stress.

groundhog

May 25, 2005
Manchester
Thanks for such a professional and easy to follow demonstration. It seems that in an emergency following this could give you a tough shelter for as long as needed. I enjoyed it a lot. Cheers:) :)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Great post, well done.

If you were to rely on the heatsheet for that length of time you really would be in a bad situation. Something that for most of us in the UK is difficult to imagine as the areas of true wilderness are tiny.

Simon

Great post, took me ages to read it as I have to load each pic individually :rolleyes:

Well worth it..

Sorry about that, I am a very visual person so a lot of my stuff tends to be picture heavy, I am new to posting on a UK site so I'm not aware of the prevalant type of internet over there. I have hi-speed..., for the time being anyway that may change if the economy doesn't change for the better soon and actualy that thread was put together over the course of a month. Glad you enjoyed it I'll try to remember to limit the pics some in the future.

Great post, well done.

If you were to rely on the heatsheet for that length of time you really would be in a bad situation. Something that for most of us in the UK is difficult to imagine as the areas of true wilderness are tiny.

Simon

Well..., there are more wild areas here and up in Canada and some other places. In this ever changing world one never knows what circumstances they might find theirself in, but I was mainly just trying to see how well it would hold up.

Very informative post! Like it lots.

Thank you, gad you liked it

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Great review and good to see how they held up over a prolonged period. I think I might just put one or two on my Christmas list! :)

Mistwalker - thanks for a very helpful review.
Knowing it can stand up to some fairly serious weather for so long is good. I struggle to imagine a scenario where you'd need it to last for so long, but assuming you were in such a scenario, even half that time would be enough to start putting together a more substantial shelter while using the sheet to sleep under during construction.

Excellent review.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE