American slipjoints- Case Stockman etc

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Hoodoo said:
Don't know what the pat pending is about. I bought that knife when they first appeared back in the late 70s.

I started using a SAK Tinker regularly after reading a series of carving books by Chris Lubkemann. His latest book tells how to modify it to make it a better and more comfy carver. Granted, Chris carves soft woods that are fairly green. If you are carving really hard, seasoned woods, stellar steel would no doubt be preferred. But I've carved walnut with my SAK with no problem. Some of the knives Chris uses are really cheapies! :) He is also a big fan of the Old Timer, Middleman jack the 33OT two blader. Personally I think the small stockman is more versatile.

lubkemann1.jpg
That's what I'm carving atm - those 'roosters' etc. I bought a SAK just for the job, reprofiled the small blade to about half the depth and it works great. I also took the secondary bevel and turned it into a convex grind on both blades. I couldn't find the Tinker over here so bought the smallest one with a saw. It has the corckscrew on the back which is a bit uncomfortable but I put one of those mini screwdrivers in it to even the thread out and it works just fine.
My carvings aren't as nice as yours though ! Perhaps some more practice....

Cheers

Mark

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sweet! Welcome to the world of twig carving Buckshot! I am just an amateur myself and am still working on a better rooster tail. :) Funny thing is, Chris warns against the corkscrew models in his book, yet a corkscrew model is included in the photo of his fav whittlers. :D

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Hellz said:
That's a lovely looking slipjoint Andy. Got any details of the steel?

That might go on "The List" ;)

Hellz

Its C70 carbon, Hellz: I just received a nice prompt reply via email from Wright and Sons.

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Danzo said:
If you like the single blade spearpoint Doc, did you see the spear and pen right at the bottom here.

It looks an absolute cracker to me and is my 'next thing to buy'!

:D

Danzo

Aha! Thanks to Keith the link should work from the quotation box!

Danzo

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Hellz said:
I've been banned from buying anymore penknives :(

Hellz

I'm happy to buy the littles bundles of slipjoint happyness and rent them to you at an equitable monthly rate, of say, one twelfth the purchase cost, per month. After a year I wouldn't want the soiled and tainted goods back so I would offer them as a freebie........

She didn't say anything about renting knives, did she?

;)

Danzo

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Hellz said:
I've been banned from buying anymore penknives :(

I suppose she has a point, it's easy to get carried away :eek:

I will be getting one of those Senators at some point though ;)

Hellz

Me too :( . After I just bought my latest one. Because of this I lost out on a great deal on ebay :rolleyes: Oh well never mind.

I guess there's a limit to how many I can actually use. On the other hand SWMBO has warmed to my digital camera addiction :) .

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Great info from everyone. The nice thing about American slipjoints is that there are loads knocking around on ebay and they are more accessible in Britain than ever before.

I hesitate to diversify a thread, but is anyone interested in American fixed blades? Calvin Rutstrum favoured the Marbles 'Expert' and I vaguely remember reading Fred Bear (famous American bowhunter) liked them too. Never seen one. Have you got one Hoodoo?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I don't wish to come across as rude about the knife but what makes it different from all the other knives with a 5inch blade stacked leather handle etc? Was it the one that caused the others?
IMO it would look far better with a more flowing pommel, the one it has doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the nice lines.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Although similar in dimensions, the Marbles (and other American knives eg Buck Vanguard) is rather different to a Scandinavian knife.

I've always thought of 'classical bushcraft' as that relating to Boreal forest. The American approach seems a bit different from the Scandinavian approach (I guess there are climatic as well as cultural differences) and perhaps this influences the cutlery styles. Can't quite figure how though.

I like the older (50s -60s) American kit. I have a 1968 Bear Tigercat bow and enjoy shooting homemade cedar arrows. I suppose I should be looking for a red Filson jacket, TruNord compass and Marbles Expert on the belt to complete the ensemble. And a Schrade in the pocket.

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Rebel said:
Me too :( . After I just bought my latest one. Because of this I lost out on a great deal on ebay :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be the Schrade three blade stockman that went for under eight quid, possibly?

Danzo

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Danzo said:
Wouldn't be the Schrade three blade stockman that went for under eight quid, possibly?

Danzo

Why did you buy it? Ha ha :rolleyes: I didn't see that one, was it a UK seller?

Actually it was a Spyderco Calypso that went for twenty five on "buy it now". It went in about 45 minutes and I was this close to pushing the button. :(

Mrs Rebel was proud of me for resisting the urge though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE