American slipjoints- Case Stockman etc

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I'm loving the pictures in this thread! :D

I'll join in as soon as I get my first classic slipjoint :rolleyes: (which should be soon!)

I've seen a lovely Stag Slipjoint by Chris Crawford over at Blademakers.com, if I wasn't so strong I'd have sold my body to medical science (fiction) and ordered it by now :rolleyes: :eek:

Hellz

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Doc said:
What do folk think of Camilus slipjoints? They are an old company with a long history of supplying knives to the army (US and British) but I think recent models are all stainless?

I think I mentioned this before, but I got a couple of camillius slippies a year or 2 ago. One of them, a yellow derlin "Rough Cut" stockman was definatly carbon steel which took and held a great edge, but unfortunately, I lost it :( The other one, a red derlin trapper, is stainless and it doesnt sharpen up the way the other one did, but is not a bad knife and has a good strong backsprings.

The funny thing is, everywhere that sells the Rough Cut range advertises them as being stainless, which is why Ive not replaced it.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Bob Hurley said:
I've owned a good handful of them over the years. Generally, they aren't nearly as stoutly constructed as the Schrade, Case, and Buck knives, but the carbon versions have very good blade steel. If you like their offerings and want a Solingen steel knife, I'd suggest you look for its twin in the "Eye" brand, as they tend to be more robustly made. There are exceptions, and now and then you get a particularly well-made Kissing Crane that's a real keeper. The gem of the current K.C. lot is, to me, the Sodbuster/Brown Mule, but they have brass pivot pins that will need to be tapped tighter over time.

Just my 2p

Thanks for your help, Bob. I think you have just saved me some money. I'll keep the KCs on a back burner till I can handle one first. :)
I am sorely tempted by the Trevor Ablett folders, though. I'm guessing the blades on the 4" spearpoint/lambsfoot are a smidge over 3" though, so may opt for a nice clippoint for edc instead.
Great pictures Hoodoo, thanks for posting.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
One thing I will warn you about the Trevor Ablett folders. Although they are ground thin, they don't have much of an edge on them. Be prepared to spend a lot of time profiling the edge. A good diamond hone helps a lot. DMT's are the best that I've tried for that.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Hoodoo said:
One thing I will warn you about the Trevor Ablett folders. Although they are ground thin, they don't have much of an edge on them. Be prepared to spend a lot of time profiling the edge. A good diamond hone helps a lot. DMT's are the best that I've tried for that.
Thanks for the tip. I think I might cheat and dust off the EdgePro if significant profiling is needed.
Though I have been considering replacing my waterstones with diamond hones for a while now, so I suppose I could bend this into an excuse thinking about it!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hmmm...are you guys saying you want to see more slippy photos? :) I better get mine in here before someone shows up with a real collection. :D

schradelargepocket1b.jpg

schrades1b.jpg

schrades2b.jpg

slipsassort1b.jpg

oupacampfire3.jpg

queenmtman1b.jpg

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Looking at them again, am I right in thinking it's the Old Timer stockman that's seen the most use?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Dammit Hoodoo!!

Not only a darn fine collection of knives of all shapes and sizes, but you've got one hell of an eye for composing a photo too! Are there no ends to your tallents?

Dave :D

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hoodoo,
I have to say that yours is one of the finest collections I have ever seen! Perhaps not in terms of money but at least the collection gets used and not pampered like a stamp collection.
The photography too, simply superb. Thanks!
Tack.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Doc said:
Looking at them again, am I right in thinking it's the Old Timer stockman that's seen the most use?

That's probably true because at one time, that OT and the little kabar next to it in the pic below were my only whittlers. I've had both knives since the early 70s.

otkabar1b.jpg

I don't use the Old Timer for whittling as much as I used to. Believe it or not, I prefer an SAK for most whittling I do with a pocket knife, although I still like the tiny, thin blades on small folders like that kabar for getting into tight places. But the large handles and thin blades on SAKs make great whittlers. If the steel is bad for whittling, it's news to me. :) ;) The Schrade with the copper inlay is also an old one and has been abused quite a bit. The scales were broken and the clip blade is still slightly bent. This knife was a toolbox knife for many years. I had the scales replaced obviously. :)

The large two-bladed Schrade folder has cleaned a lot of fish and field dressed and butchered a fair share of deer. It dates back to the late 60s. Folders like that have thin blades and large, wide flat grinds, making them great slicers and perfect for outdoor use imo. They were pretty common among outdoors folks at one time. However, the Buck 110 was sexier and generally replaced them. A friend of mine with a similar knife got a little careless with one and it closed on him while he was cleaning a deer. Got a big cut in his hand and ended up in the emergency room.

The thing about slip joints is that you can't be careless with them but generally I don't think they are any more dangerous than any other knife. However, I do like a good lockback. :D

westernlockback2b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
MartiniDave said:
Dammit Hoodoo!!

Not only a darn fine collection of knives of all shapes and sizes, but you've got one hell of an eye for composing a photo too! Are there no ends to your tallents?

Dave :D

:eek: To be honest, I don't have near the photographic skills as some friends of mine like BAHDog and Schwert. Their photos are real creations. So I thank you for the compliment but I still can't compare to the big boys. :) Of course, my photos used to look half decent until they started posting theirs next to mine. :D It's all relative I reckon. :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Tack said:
Hoodoo,
I have to say that yours is one of the finest collections I have ever seen! Perhaps not in terms of money but at least the collection gets used and not pampered like a stamp collection.
The photography too, simply superb. Thanks!
Tack.

Thanks for the compliments Tack. I definitely focus on users. Many of the slipjoints I've purchased over the years were bought at a huge discount, so I have a lot less money in them than you might expect. About 8 years ago WalMart got rid of their Case knives and I picked up a pile of them and I doubt I paid more than $15 apiece for any of them. I'm a sucker for a cheap using knife. :D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I like the A. Wright penknives in the link above. They do a single blade spearpoint that looks good.

The Western lockback looks good and substantial. I note the patent pending on the tang - wondered about that as it appears a conventional design?

Maybe I need to sharpen my SAK better, but I can never get it as sharp as the Opinel for whittlin'. Maybe just me. Also my current SAK is the Victorinox Campflame with slightly gimmicky but nevertheless useful integral butane lighter. Works well but makes the handle bulky for fine work. One for the belt sheath rather than the pocket.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Don't know what the pat pending is about. I bought that knife when they first appeared back in the late 70s.

I started using a SAK Tinker regularly after reading a series of carving books by Chris Lubkemann. His latest book tells how to modify it to make it a better and more comfy carver. Granted, Chris carves soft woods that are fairly green. If you are carving really hard, seasoned woods, stellar steel would no doubt be preferred. But I've carved walnut with my SAK with no problem. Some of the knives Chris uses are really cheapies! :) He is also a big fan of the Old Timer, Middleman jack the 33OT two blader. Personally I think the small stockman is more versatile.

lubkemann1.jpg

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Doc said:
I like the A. Wright penknives in the link above. They do a single blade spearpoint that looks good.

If you like the single blade spearpoint Doc, did you see the spear and pen right at the bottom here.

It looks an absolute cracker to me and is my 'next thing to buy'!

:D

Danzo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE