American slipjoints- Case Stockman etc

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I like the look of the multi blade traditional slipjoint folders by Case/Camillus/Buck/Schrade/Remington etc. They look traditional and workmanlike. Often sold reasonably cheaply on ebay from the US and international shipping often only 3 or 4 pounds.

Just a few questions:

1)Are any of these makers regarded as better than the others? Case seem popular but is this for collecting rather than using? Hoodoo's site recommends the Schrade Old Timer for whittling. What about the German brands like Puma and Henckel's?

2)There are various pattens : Stockman/Trapper etc. Do these really reflect their original use? Any thoughts about the best for bushcraft/whittling? Nessmuk liked the 'one blade at each end' type - does this have a name?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The old Case knives were great. Some of the latest offerings are pretty iffy but some are good also. Depends on the line.

Schrade closed its doors. Their Old Timer slipjoints were a good bargain. There are still some on the market but you have to be careful as the quality is variable as is the steel. You might think you are getting carbon and end up with a low-grade stainless (which stainless, I'm not sure).

Some of the best slipjoints out there for the money right now are being made by Queen. Many of them are made with D2 steel.

Cold Steel makes a great line of carbon steel slip joints. Well worth checking out. Nothing pretty about them but good flat-ground carbon V steel and good walk and talk.

csslips1b.jpg

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Another vote for the Queen knives, Ive got a couple and they are great, can be a pig to reprofile though!

With Case, the Chrome Vandium blades are said to be better than the "Surgical Stainless" ones, I dont know, Ive only bought CV ones!

I had, and lost, a Camillius Rough Cut stockman, which are usually advertised as stainless, but mine was definatly carbon :confused: I loved it and was gutted when I lost it, I probably spent about 4hrs stomping about the woods looking for it! :rolleyes:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The various stockmen, trappers etc. do indeed reflect specific use. I have to laugh at western reenactors packing these huge Bowies. Old time range cowboys simply did not have knife fights or boxing matches. Their hands were their livelyhood and to valuable to injure. A revolver was always used to settle one's affairs. the Stockman was designed for the very glamorous duties of castration, ear and wattle notching to complement branding and perhaps opening a can of beans or coffee, hopefully after cleaning the knife after the other duties. :eek: The trapper is a dedicated knife for pelting with a general purpose clip point, speypoint for delicate work around the face and feet and a sheepsfoot for scraping away fatty tissue.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have wanted to add something like this to my collection for a while.. i think they are goot to carry because they look so un-threataning.. can anyone point me in the direction of one of the cheaper (but decent) trappers please. .. ... :D

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
tomtom said:
i have wanted to add something like this to my collection for a while.. i think they are goot to carry because they look so un-threataning.. can anyone point me in the direction of one of the cheaper (but decent) trappers please. .. ... :D

Here is an example of one of Queens cutlery trappers with delrin handles. Under $50.00US and if you do a search, you can probably find them for less. I'm saving up for the Schatts and Morgan Mountainman blades. :D

http://knifecountryusa.com/store/product/102489.102515/queen-knives-19wb-premium-trapper-knife-w-winterbottom-delrin-handles.html

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Good thread, I've been looking at the Case knives recently with a view to having an alternative legal EDC.

I've almost narrowed it down to 2, the Case Doctors knife or the Seahorse Whittler. Anyone with Case knowledge care to offer their opinions on these two?

Hellz

quarterstaff

Aug 5, 2004
uk
I have 1 case saddle horn slipjoint but i do find it a bit large for edc,the schrade old timer is the one that i carry mostly and it does very well,i also have knives by bulldog(good),boker(fair),marbles(has china stamped on the blade :confused: )queen(good) and this one
DCP_1032.jpg
[/IMG]
i bought this as a edc but with the close down of schrade i have decided to keep it safe.The traditional look and feel of this type of knives really appeals to me.Anyone have any ideas how the names of thease knives came about ie congress,barlow,copperhead and so on.
cheers

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,
I have to agree with Hellz, this is a super thread. I have a preference for German made slipjoints of American patterns with Henckells and Boker being my personal favourites. My favourite pattern is the copperhead.
Does anyone know of a copperhead made with a three inch clip blade? This would be just about ideal as an EDC. All of the ones I've seen so far are considerably smaller.
Regards
Tack

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks folks - much food for thought. I can see why people are interested. Most of us are traditionalists at heart and the fact that these patterns are basically working tools is appealing. Also legal if blade sub 3 inches and they certainly do not look threatening. The Stockman seems most popular.

For everyday use I have my SAK - it is very good but not ideal for whittling, and my Opinel is good for whittling but of couse it locks. So I am tempted to get a traditional slipjoint. My preference would be for carbon or similar, not stainless.

Difficult call here.

The Cold Steel looks very solid and good steel but has 'faux bone' :confused: scales and the name has slightly aggressive overtones. Quite expensive.

Everyone raves over Queen and their D2 steel, look nice with cocobolo handles, also quite expensive.

Schrade Old Timer apparently was the US's best selling pocket knife and company gone bust. I believe new Schrades are made in China. An American-made old model in carbon steel would be nice - but I note Hoodoos comments. Still available as new old stock and prices are fairly low.

And then there is Case, Camillus, Buck, Remington, Browning, and the Sheffield made stuff.

Hmmmm.....

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I'm having a similar dilema. My short list so far consists of:

• Case Amber Bone Canoe - Current favourite, only concern is I've seen some with a picture of a canoe engraved on the main blade :rolleyes:
  • Case Butterbean - Nice for EDC but quite small
  • Case Doctors Knife - Nice looking knife but not sure if the blade is sub 3"
  • Case Seahorse Whittler - The former favourite, but I'm not sure if that at over 4" folded it would be a bit bulky in the pocket
  • Case Trapper - A popular one but I'm not big fan of clip points.

The quest continues! :D

Hellz

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I believe the Doctor's knife your refering to is the long single,slender blade. This would more properly be called a pharmacist's or Chemist's knife. The idea was a blade to count and separate loose pills, cut open packages, cut pills in half etc. 'Faux' is french for fake. Marbles were highly thought of knives before the factory closed and are highly collectable. The name was revived and knives assembled from remaining stocks and now are imported Chinese junk. Shrades are still in good supply. They closed because of A. stiff competition from cheap overseas labour ( see above) B. having a rather dated product line ( though ironically now collectors are buying up pieces as future collectables) and C. outfits like SEARS and Walmart demanded lower unit prices ( translation? see above again.) Slipjoints are a collector's world unto themselves. You are best off buying a current production model you like. Attend a gun or knife show over here and at least one dealer will have a tablefull. The buyers are usually somebody seeking to replace their first knife or the one granddad had. Step to the next table and some cammie clad zealot is selling some wunder steel, tactical black, car door stabbing, phone book slashing sword that again is often from ( see above.) If nothing else, slipjoints hearken to a more genteel time of knife use.

B

Bob Hurley

I have four of the large Case folders - a stockman and a trapper in jigged bone and chrome vanadium steel, and a moose and a large Congress in dark red bone that are older knives of a similar type carbon steel. All are fine knives capable of hard work without failure; all are also hollowground and very easy to sharpen. I like them all, but I usually find myself carrying the stockman. If I might need to skin a deer the trapper is in my pocket.

Recently I bought one of the new Queen light hunters in D-2, and I'm impressed with it. I'd recommend Queen, but be sure you're getting D-2. Queen went through a long period some years back of making nice knives out of crappy steel.

If you like stainless, Buck knives are excellent and not expensive.

My choice of size (generally 4.25" overall) may be problematic for you with your knife laws. I can't really comment on the usefulness of the smaller sizes.

Doc,

In the German knives I prefer Eye brand in the copperhead pattern and Solingen carbon steel. It's my favorite skinning knife, and I've worn one out using it. I was going to post a photo of a seasons catch of fur, but don't want to offend anyone's tender sensibilities as they haven't been shrinkwrapped. ;)

The closest I could get to Nessmuk's folder is this Case Moose pattern I bought via eBay:
case-moose.jpg

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
I like that Cold Steel copy of the Schrade Old Timer in the bottom left of Hoodoos picture. Methinks it may be buyin' time!

:D

Danzo

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Too much choice! Very easy to spend too much money here. And there is also the restraining interest of She Who Must Be Obeyed to consider...

Schrades come in stainless and carbon (?1095) and the stainless are marked 'Schrade+' on the main blade. You can buy a new old stock Schrade Old Timer stockman for £10 to £20 delivered to the UK from the US on ebay. I've bought a carbon steel one and thought I would see how I like the stockman style. If I like the stockman blade shape and layout but the quality is so so then I'll get a Queen.

The pound/dollar exchange rate is in our favour and I only paid about £3 for delivery to the UK (some UK retailers charge more!). I don't think I'll have to pay customs and tax on the Schrade but probably would have to on the Queen.

Interesting that Nessmuk and Rustrum advocate a folding knife in addition to the belt knife and axe, whereas Ray Mears asserts that 'in Bushcraft folding knives are virtually useless'. Ray also advocates a thicker belt knife which I would have thought makes the need for a folder even greater.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE