Amazon + eBay drop downs in the kit chatter section..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm interested to know what your issue is with it, it takes up little space, it's in a forum that's generally orientated around kit and buying things

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'm interested to know what your issue is with it, it takes up little space, it's in a forum that's generally orientated around kit and buying things

Well my issue I suppose is that I see BCUK as a well of calm in a drop down ad infested online environment...It's not overly difficult to hit crtl N for a new window and head to eBay or amazon? If I really see something in the kit forums that I need to have or want to look the price up on..

TBH my view is it's brashly commercial which is not what I head to BCUK for.... We used to refer to BCUK as a 'virtual campfire' it's a bit like finding your campfire is now sponsored by Coleman and Microsoft...

Also the eBay one links to eBay.com most of the likely users will want to head to eBay Uk I would have thought to search for that must have item..

I fully appreciate BCUK needs funding etc however it's a fine line that needs treading...Trust this explains...

Last edited:
Well my issue I suppose is that I see BCUK as a well of calm in a drop down ad infested online environment...It's not overly difficult to hit crtl N for a new window and head to eBay or amazon? If I really see something in the kit forums that I need to have or want to look the price up on..

TBH my view is it's brashly commercial which is not what I head to BCUK for.... We used to refer to BCUK as a 'virtual campfire' it's a bit like finding your campfire is now sponsored by Coleman and Microsoft...

Also the eBay one links to eBay.com most of the likely users will want to head to eBay Uk I would have thought to search for that must have item..

I fully appreciate BCUK needs funding etc however it's a fine line that needs treading...Trust this explains...

Can you remove your Brashly commercial advertising link from your signature then ;) please

its already twice appeared on this page and will gain when you reply

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com

Johnboy are you having a bad day?
The links are unobtrusive, catch the peripheral vision at worst.....come on, really, are they 'that' much of an inconvenience as to start a thread on the topic.......
Given you are in a service industry!

You run a business yourself, if you could introduce something to your site that had minimal impact and earned a token fee for clicks to support 'funding' !!

Deep breath and some perspective perhaps?

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I was wondering what you where talking about for a moment, then I realised I have an adblocker installed on my browser that makes things like that go bye-bye. I use Safari on Mac, but I'm sure there will be a version for your flavour of browser too. It will allow you to turn them on or off. Everybody wins then.

Ho ho......A classic filibuster awesome....

Sig issue now resolved....

Just making a point its not my position to dictate to others what they can and cant do on this website ( thats Tony's Job :D ) nor am i a MOD etc

You may be entitled to a link in your Sig depends on what level of membership you have
as a Maker Plus I can put a link in mine to my Maker business ......... just need to get the website sorted to link to :yikes::theyareon

ATB

Duncan

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Just making a point its not my position to dictate to others what they can and cant do on this website ( thats Tony's Job :D ) nor am i a MOD etc You may be entitled to a link in your Sig depends on what level of membership you have as a Maker Plus I can put a link in mine to my Maker business ......... just need to get the website sorted to link to :yikes::theyareonATBDuncan
I'm glad you clarified that. Personally if folk want to stick links etc in thier 'sig' lines go for it. Heaps of members do for everything from blog links, commercial supplies, paracord bracelets, knives and even instruction provision.A lot of those sigs have grown organically with BCUK over 8 years. They are part of what this community is IMHO.. We know you are a hobbyist maker, someone else knocks up paracord gear etc ad infinitum....BCUK is more than just a privately owned moderated Internet forum it's a community a small town if you like all those links in sigs to Gear and services. They are the artisan quarter or local shops of this community....The link to eBay and Amazon is the Wal Mart that's just been built in the middle of town....
Hey Johnboy, I get what you mean, If your on firefox get the adblocker add on, nice and simple, nice and clean,:)
. Yep thanks....I use fire fox on my desktop but TBH I do most of my browsing on the iPad these days the safari browser on here is pretty basic...

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
That's better switched on adblocker in firefox and jobs a good un and turning off Javascript on the I pad kills them dead as well.

Choice....

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
BCUK is more than just a privately owned moderated Internet forum it's a community a small town if you like
Do you know of a community or town that can exist without funding, whether it be tax, commerce or whatever? Streetlights need paying for, bins need emptying. Who pays for this community? Who feeds the family of the man that runs it? That's where your analogy falls over. Or do you just want some selfish and romantic notion of an online community where you can buy and sell, but on your terms only? Are you prepared to pay a percentage of your salary into Tony's account so that he and his family might prosper without advertising? For goodness sake man, this is a website, not a church. They are two tiny search boxes halfway down the forum, that might put some bread on the table of the owner and provider of this community you value so highly. Dont be so flamin sanctimonious. BcUK is Tony's business. If you support him and the site, why do you begrudge him the right to try and make it profitable if he can? I'm sorry Johnboy, but that you announce with such glee that you have an adblocker to deny him that, makes me angry. It's your right of course, but it's how you express it, with such petulance. Tony is a publisher and advertising is the way publishers make money. Nobody likes advertising particularly, but it's a necessary evil, especially if you have no other source of income and you want to put clothes on the backs of your kids. You were doing it yourself in your sig till your hypocrisy was pointed out to you. Grow up man! You are messing with a mans livelihood.

Sheesh, communists, they never learn. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Do you know of a community or town that can exist without funding, whether it be tax, commerce or whatever? Streetlights need paying for, bins need emptying. Who pays for this community? Who feeds the family of the man that runs it? Or do you just want some selfish and romantic notion of an ideal where you can buy and sell, but on your terms only? Are you prepared to pay a percentage of your salary into Tony's account so that he and his family might prosper without advertising? For goodness sake man, this is a website, not a church. They are two tiny search boxes halfway down the forum, that might put some bread on the table of the owner and provider of this community you value so highly. Dont be so flamin sanctimonious. BcUK is Tony's business. If you support him and the site, why do you begrudge him the right to try and make it profitable if he can? I'm sorry Johnboy, but that you announce with such glee that you have an adblocker to deny him that, offends me. It's your right of course, but it's how you express it, with such petulance. Tony is a publisher and advertising is the way publishers make money. Nobody likes it particularly, but it's a necessary evil, especially if you have no other source of iuncome and you want to put clothes on the backs of your kids. Grow up man!Sheesh, communists, they never learn. :rolleyes:
Hi Martyn,I'm a Communist and I didn't realize. I thought I'd been spending all of these years embracing the capitalist dream..I'm not after denying anyone anything in particular...As you astutely point out BCUK is a business (more accurately Bushcraft Media Ltd 05668860 is a business) one I do support financially and as a good business it actively asks for feedback on the services it provides. Hence this sub forum I guess.

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'm sorry John, I shouldn't have been so abrupt, it's a sensitive subject for me too at the moment.

Whether it's leather goods, knives, carved spoons or advertising, it's all the same, it's all private enterprise. The only truly saleable product on internet forums is advertising. It's not as wholesome or as romantic as craft items, but that is all we have to work with.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'm sorry John, I shouldn't have been so abrupt, it's a sensitive subject for me too at the moment.Whether it's leather goods, knives, carved spoons or advertising, it's all the same, it's all private enterprise. The only truly saleable product on internet forums is advertising. It's not as wholesome or as romantic as craft items, but that is all we have to work with.
Martyn,No problems we've fenced around each other for a good few years I respect you and your view points.I agree it's all private enterprise. However a lot of us come here for that romantic escape.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE