amadou

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
i need some advice.
i found a reall nice bracket fungus the other day and decided i'd try harvest and process the amadou. i cut off the tough exterior and the spore tubes (gills whatever) now i have the light brown spongy stuff. i want to work it into a bendy piece like a shammy leather but i just keep breakin it up.
any help??
ta:sadwavey::campfire:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've never quite managed the chamois leather texture, but giving it a good boil with wood ash and then pounding it out makes a big difference.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What Gregorach said :) I do find though that the pounding is the important bit. I do it with a stick on a stump. If you use anything metal it's inclined to cut it to bits. A well rounded hand sized stone works well too.

cheers,
Toddy

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
......... and pound 'light and long' rather than hard and quick

Take your time and enjoy the process - it will be worth it in the end ;-)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, I agree :)
I get a rhythm going where the stick is almost really just bounced off the amadou working backwards and forwards over it. I find it's better done slightly damp but not sploongin wet. A rounded stone can be kind of rolled over it like making a ball of plasticine.
A good activity to do sitting round the fire blethering at night :D The hitting it with a stick isn't, the noise drives folks nuts :sigh:

Lots of different ways to do it though.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE