Alternatives to the GB Scandinavian Forest Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Much as the title suggests, can anyone recommend an alternative to this axe? I'm after something of good quality but a not too punishing price tag - if that's possible!

Many thanks, in advance, for your suggestions.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
How about the Hultafors Classic Felling axe. It's very similar to the GB and considerably cheaper. I just did a google search and found it on one website for £69. The Hultafors Classic range is their top end stuff which I would suggest has been designed to rival GB.

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
I am a massive fan of the incredibly reasonably priced Husqvarna axes. They have had some bad press in the past but I love the ones I have, very well built, good steel and takes a razor sharp edge (and importantly keeps it).

Their equivalent to the Scandinavian Forest Axe is the Husqvarna Multi-Purpose Axe. I've had mine for a couple of years and in my opinion it is very close indeed to the performance of GB stuff. Plus they tend to retail at around the £40.00 mark which is a real bonus.:)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I know I'm repeating myself (sorry) but all my axes (and I have quite a few) are over a hundred years old, range from small kindling hatchets to full felling axes, made by old companies like Brades etc. and have not cost me more than a fiver; often a lot less. The steel is excellent, holds a good edge, and they all perform admirably. If you really want to have a GB or Hultafors I know I won't dissuade you but you won't actually be getting an axe that will do a better job (IMHO :) ).

Reactions: Janne

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I know I'm repeating myself (sorry) but all my axes (and I have quite a few) are over a hundred years old, range from small kindling hatchets to full felling axes, made by old companies like Brades etc. and have not cost me more than a fiver; often a lot less. The steel is excellent, holds a good edge, and they all perform admirably. If you really want to have a GB or Hultafors I know I won't dissuade you but you won't actually be getting an axe that will do a better job (IMHO :) ).

I see what your saying, I myself have a old kent pattern thats great but I just I happned apon it. If i wanted a axe in the next few days I doubt I could find a good quaility one for less than £5. Where would I look? first suggestion is usually a carboot but from my experience they are just full of rubbish and magic mops.

Reactions: WealdenWoodsman

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
As someone who collects old axes I would say that it can be a bit of a mine field if you don't know what you are looking at. Not all of the older axes were made of quality steel, much like today.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I see what your saying, I myself have a old kent pattern thats great but I just I happned apon it. If i wanted a axe in the next few days I doubt I could find a good quaility one for less than £5. Where would I look? first suggestion is usually a carboot but from my experience they are just full of rubbish and magic mops.

The buying of tools for life should never be a rushed decision :)
But I take your point; I have been collecting for years and, to be honest, car boot fairs have far fewer good ones on offer. The last couple I bought were from an antiques fair but they were both £3. There was a nice one in an antiques barn near us (you know the kind of place, a big hall with a number of different vendors individual 'shops') but they wanted £15 :( - however, those places are worth a rummage.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As someone who collects old axes I would say that it can be a bit of a mine field if you don't know what you are looking at. Not all of the older axes were made of quality steel, much like today.

As long as it's a stamped make from the turn of the 19th century it's a fairly safe bet in my experience. I've never had a duff one but then, for the money, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I just make sure they're not 'hammered' (I don't mind a little bit of 'history' but not abuse). One thing to look out for is when a handle has been 'burnt' out ruining the tempering but I have the facilities to re-harden and temper anyway. The other thing to look out for is a distorted (or even cracked) eye from hammering.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Many thanks for the suggestions thus far. I have to admit, I have neither the time nor inclination to rummage in the antique branch of things, hence the greater interest in newly made axes. I do realise that I am probably missing a trick there but, like I say, it's all a matter of that most precious of commodities - time...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
These always struck me as being good value - I've not seen or held one, but the quality appears good...

http://wood-tools.co.uk/tools/bushcraft-axe/

It certainly looks the part and has the added benefit of Robin Wood's input. I am tempted... very tempted!

Ideally, I'm looking for something of about 1.2kg in weight and with a 64cm handle so, although this one is close, for me, it needs a little more weight.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
These always struck me as being good value - I've not seen or held one, but the quality appears good...

http://wood-tools.co.uk/tools/bushcraft-axe/

saw one of these the other day, head was mounted at an angle to the helve, the grind was crooked and the head had a crack in it, i had heard good things about these, but tbh i wasnt that impressed, might have a been a one off that got through the system i suppose, but even so.

EDIT: it was the smaller carving axe i saw, not the bushcraft axe

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE