alternative to knives ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

galavanter

Aug 1, 2011
southwestscotland
I have been reading through all the fors and against regarding carrying knives I enjoy knives and find it hard to be without one ,living in the countryside cutting branches fishing filleting and so forth sensibly, have made a few as well, So what alternatives have we got if someone could come up with a hard carborumban waterproof paper that would be legal to carry in its paper state but then when arriving at camp could be glued to a hard surface and used as a cutting tool suitable for carving slicing etc most camp duties and then disposed of before returning to civilisation. Failing that glass bottles can be fashioned into sharp edges, as can flint, wire saws can be used for a lot of cutting smaller branches I would personally not mind paying a small license fee that would allow me to carry a knife legally and be registered as a responsible user ,whats the chance of that ever happening

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Noooooo, please dont even joke about a licence to carry a knife. A knife is a tool...no more, no less and there are already enough laws relating to their use / carry.

i put it to you, if you couldn't take a knife out camping, how long would it be before you got sick of drinking cup a soups...lets face it, that's all you could prepare without a knife !

Simon

Last edited:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I think there are literally hundreds of knives that are perfectly legal to carry already, unless you're talking about a Hokey-Cokey 14 inch Dragon slaying saw back 'Special Forces' (almost missed that out)...knife..:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All the alternatives you suggest would be covered by existing knife laws - so just carry a knife and be done with it. Take a saw, an axe and a gun while you are it - there is no law against having these things for their intended purpose in permissibale places

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Non-metallic knives have a dubious legality, just to worry everybody some more. Shame they didn't think about flint knapping. The law is an bottom.

galavanter

Aug 1, 2011
southwestscotland
Im curious regards battle reinactment societies do they have a special pass to be able to transport swords pikes and weapons without being challenged bye the forces of darkness

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Im curious regards battle reinactment societies do they have a special pass to be able to transport swords pikes and weapons without being challenged bye the forces of darkness
Nope they use the current laws... valid reason.
If you stick to paper and glueing it to sticks you will be a master of bushcraft,
I will continue to persevere with a knife.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I'm not clear why the OP wants to invent a knife alternative - what purpose is being served?
troll.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hes got a knife I see

The OP obviously has no creative hobbies, and has never attempted one.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Failing that glass bottles can be fashioned into sharp edges, as can flint,

Congratulations , you just created an item which is illegal in terms of S.49 of the Criminal Law ( Consolidation ) Scotland Act 1995 , when carried in a public place. And if it's not in a public place or you have good reason, then why are you not legally using a knife instead of faffing about?

I would personally not mind paying a small license fee that would allow me to carry a knife legally and be registered as a responsible user ,whats the chance of that ever happening

Would you be happy to pay a fee for a licence to post on the internet, because that's something else like carrying a knife that you can currently do perfectly legally. Or do you mean to carry a knife all the time, even when you don't actually need one, in which case it sort of sounds like you have a problem ....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE