Alt-berg civilian vs military boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Evening all,

I'm on the hunt for a new pair of walking boots, as my circa nine year old leather Berghaus Explorer Ridge have started giving up the water ghost. The newer versions have been changed so much that I don't think it worthwhile ordering them when there are so many options out there.

One name that has been recommended is Alt-berg, and having looked online they do seem to have a very good rep. However, their range is vast, and the price difference between their issue boots and 'civilian' ones suggests the military ones are perhaps made in their Italian rather than Yorkshire factory, and also may have quality differences?

Has anyone owned both their military Defender Combat and civilian ones and can elaborate on the differences? If the military ones do just as good a job as the civilian (I'm looking at the Tethera and Nordkapp primarily, just need to try them to see which last suits me best) I'm questioning rather the cause for the trebling/quadrupling of the cost, from ~60 for the combat to ~200 for the Tethera and Nordkapp.

Hugh

Tiki

Aug 31, 2016
Oxfordshire
I dont have both but do have the defenders. I find them great for plodding about in but a bit clumpy as actual walking boots but that may just be me. My old Brasher super lights are far more comfy for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

May 24, 2017
UK
I think the biggest difference in general between Altberg's combat and civilian boots is the ankle support. I own the Bergens not the Defender, but to my mind their military boots are designed with heavy packs in mind, thus the additional ankle support. The 2 civvie boots you looked at are 16cm tall, versus 20+ over the mil range.

Give em a call re. quality, they're pretty helpful.

GW

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Thank you both for your experiences with them. A new pair of Defenders arrived today, size 11m - they seem undersized? I was expecting them to be too big lengthways if anything, given the blurb about being sized to accommodate SealSkinz socks etc. but nope, definitely much less roomy than I was expecting. Very well fitting width ways, but length they fit, but not the roomy I'm used to with Berghaus' footwear.

How do you find their sizings?

Reactions: Chris B

mutineer

Apr 30, 2013
Hampshire
Alt Bergs are great. The civvy range is manufactured in Italy/Yorkshire. The Military range is outsourced to somewhere in Eastern Europe but to Alt Bergs standard. I suspect the cost difference between the two is mostly because the Military boots are ex issue and being sold off.
Length wise, Alt Berg are very accurate. If you are a size 10, an Altberg size 10 will be correct. Most other manufacturers make the boots too big which is why Altberg seem smaller. As for width, it depends on the boot and you will only know by trying them on in a shop, so check for a stockist and don't be afraid of driving to try some on.
Then there is the shape which comes from the Last (or mould). Altberg have three basic patterns so you can't simply say that Altberg don't fit when they have an A Last, a G Last and a standard Last with 5 different widths!!! That might seem complicated but at least Alt berg are consistent. Other manufacturers change their sizing and lasts all the time which is really tricky to keep up with.
As for how the fit of the Military boots compare with the Civvy boots I can't comment as my experience is limited to the civvy boots but I suspect that with Altberg they will be pretty consistent.
One more thing regarding size, don't be so sure that you know your correct foot size! Go get them measured, feet have a tendency to spread with age, as does the waistline!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had a pair of Altbergs many moons ago when I was in the Army..way before they became issue boots when we had to buy our own...can't remember the type but I do know they were super comfy with great support.
Also as a bonus...when the soles wore out aftrr many many miles I had the soles renewed by them and if I remember rightly it didnt cost thst much...
I hope this helps.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I've not owned either!

My current issue boots are Yaldiz and are bloody awful. Word in the herd is that the Alt Bergs are the one to go for but I'm loathe to buy a pair on line. I'm a European size 46 most reliably and that's not somewhere I can count on wandering in to a surplus shop to find so I've held off.

For the £60 they seem to go for a good pair of boots would be a bargain.

Like Tiki I wore out a number of pairs of the Brasher Superlites before they made the move to manufacture off shore. These later boots are just not as good. For serious outdoor boots I have now gone to Meindl Toronto's and they are the best boots I've ever owned. Recommend a visit to a shop armed with the socks (layers) you intend to walk in.

Interested to see how you get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
These days I use Lowa Mountain GTX boots..had two pairs and so far I've had a good experience and I've tabbed a lot of miles in them.
They do take a bit of breaking in and I replaced the insoles but that was because I have nerve damage in my left leg so require orthopedic insoles.
But overall they are the best boots I've had for a long time.

MountainGoat

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2016
Scotland
A few years back I owned a pair. From what I remember, the eyelets rusted pretty quickly, and the upper eyelets lost strength after about 6 months. Nothing major, but it was a slight issue.

As with most leathers, having a front rand would also help. Toe-box leather wore out pretty sharp.

By mentioning 'water ghost', I assume one of your priorities is avoiding wet feet?

Are the boots for hillwalking? What's the intended use?

Most of our hills (UK) have good paths where boots aren't even necessary - or have no paths where you'll sink into bog above the height of a boot anyway. I'd suggest it's possibly worth your while looking at hunting boots.

Some pics included of my current pair (LaCrosse Alphaburly Pro). Fantastic boot. If you've never worn a rubber boot, you should try it (included boot is very different from a standard 'welly boot'). And easy to clean - just hose them down.

Lacrosse have a great sole (see the second pic).

If you're a hunter: certain rubber boots/brands are great as they can be scent-free (leather holds scent).

Having tried almost every type of footwear in the hills, I'd say if you are moving no faster than a walking pace and want to keep your feet bone dry & toasty (they have a neoprene liner: I have the 3.5 as the 7's are too warm for the UK, more suitable for Alaska), try something like the Alphaburly.

I wear the Alphaburly's when hunting, but also for pathless hiking. No issues at all with them.

SjwcHTi.jpg

SsthRr1.jpg

-EDIT- I just noticed in one of your posts you've ordered a pair of boots.

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I have a pair of altberg tabbing boots as well as the defenders. The tabbing boots are like trainers once broken in, easily as comfortable as most fabric sided boots.

Wouldn't wear them with much weight on my back however, especially if your used to more supportive boots.

Also the fit is a bit different to the defenders, wider at the toe and a bit more narrow at the heel.

Tonyuk

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've a pair of Field and Fell that must be getting on for 15 years old. Almost due a second resole.

They aren't 100% waterproof now....but sering as the main use now is beating through heather and bogs it doesn't matter as often above ankle deep in water any way.

Just to comfy to replace.

When I got them resoled, I got the same sole unit as the gamekeeper boats fitted instead of the standard ones

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I just wanted to revisit this thread. As I wrote previously my issues boots are YDS Kestrels and I am not a fan. The tongues started to flake surprisingly quickly. As a drill boot they are fine but I can’t imagine walking any distance in them without regrets.

I have been wearing Meindl Toronto’s for 3 years now for serious walking (20 miles) I love them. The leg is not really tall enough to look quite right in uniform.

Most of my colleagues recommend Altberg Defenders. Recently I decided to splash my own cash and buy a pair. Went to a stockist in Larkill and tried a pair of Altberg Warriors, the civilian version of the Defender. Main difference being a yellow vibram insert in the sole and the fact they are sold in half sizes rather than with an added insole of the military boot. They are a well made boot, pretty comfortable, rather stiff and I thought pricey at £160.

As they didn’t have my size I went away. I happened across a pair of Defenders on eBay, bloke had bought on line, they didn’t fit and he hadn’t returned them in time. £40 later and I had them in hand.

They are the same as the warriors with the differences above. I found I needed the insole with the wide fit to make the fit perfect. I will want to wear them a while but I don’t think they will need breaking in.

Out of the box I know they won’t ever be as comfortable as the Toronto’s. In terms of durability the Defenders main gripe is that they take scuffing badly. This is the same with the YDS. They are an all rounder boot rather than a hiking boot. As a work boot or for Bushcraft probably perfect. Not bad as a boot for hunting but perhaps not optimum for Highland Stalking.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
A slight tangent to the thread, but i understand that Aku boots are now starting to get issued. The best issue boots i had were the Haix cold weather boots (full leather, with goretex lining) - turned out to really fit my feet well, and be very comfy. I still struggled with the altbergs - tried on all widths and sizes from stores, and they were either too narrow, or if i went for a size that fitted me in width, ended up like clown shoes! Lots of people find they are the best to go with, just depends if their last fits your feet well. £40 for a pair as mentioned above is an absolute bargain!

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I find them great for plodding about in but a bit clumpy as actual walking boots but that may just be me. My old Brasher super lights are far more comfy for me.

This ... lightness ... have you looked into trail runners? I still use boots, just way less since I thought to myself .. if I can run 10-15 kilometers in these, I guess I can walk it too :lol: They are lighter, often better designed. They dry out too :)

Not sure what brands are available in the UK ... Inov8, for obviously, and I am looking at a pair of Inov8 Roclite 315s for later this summer. Still got a bit of wear on my Altra Peaks though. Altra do the Peak as a kind of high ankled boot version too if you are thinking about support, or even just keeping rocks out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE